shaky steering and uneven tire wear???

Guest blaineo

Guest blaineo

CAn anyone help me? I'm not much of a motorhead, but this is my second Pathfinder

and I absolutely love them. Mine is a 93 4dr 4wd. My steering is getting pretty shaky and my left tire is wearing unevenly to the inside, and my right one a little bit as well.

I'd like to know what may be wrong before I take it somewhere and get the run around. Thanks in advance for any help :confused:

i am having some issues there right now too but check the idler arm, center link, tie rod ends, and ball joints to make sure they are in good condition.. then maybe an allignement... also check balance and tire pressure..

if both are wearing to the inside, you have a toe-out problem. Alignmen should fix it. I would also check the camber on the heavily worn tire. Sounds like that is out on one side. This can be caused by a broken or sagging spring (measure ride height on both sides), a bent strut or spindle, a mislocated strut tower or engine cradle, a collapsed control arm bushing or a bent control arm.

• 1 year later...

Just resurecting this thread once more....

My pathy sort of drifts to the right. When I release the steering wheel, it sort of slights to the right a little which causes it to drift in that direction. I assumed it needed an alignment (which I found out I was right) but that didn't fix anything. Wheel still shakes at certain speeds, and still slants to the rights like before.. I had a bad toe-in / \ which was fixed.

mzxtreme:

i am having some issues there right now too but check the idler arm, center link, tie rod ends, and ball joints to make sure they are in good condition.. then maybe an allignement... also check balance and tire pressure..

k9sar:

if both are wearing to the inside, you have a toe-out problem. Alignmen should fix it. I would also check the camber on the heavily worn tire. Sounds like that is out on one side. This can be caused by a broken or sagging spring (measure ride height on both sides), a bent strut or spindle, a mislocated strut tower or engine cradle, a collapsed control arm bushing or a bent control arm.

I should probably give these things a look at as well. Does anyone else have a clue?

Edited by 90seven

Well, if you're driving a 97, you don't have a centerlink to worry about, and no upper control arms. My guess is probably a bad tie-rod end somewhere has thrown your alignment off.

Just resurecting this thread once more....

My pathy sort of drifts to the right. When I release the steering wheel, it sort of slights to the right a little which causes it to drift in that direction. I assumed it needed an alignment (which I found out I was right) but that didn't fix anything. Wheel still shakes at certain speeds, and still slants to the rights like before.. I had a bad toe-in / \ which was fixed.

mzxtreme:

k9sar:

I should probably give these things a look at as well. Does anyone else have a clue?

Have a 97 as well with 179000 on it. Had the same issue at about 80,000 and had all of this checked out. Turned out to be a right side busted strut. Sorry for the news if thats the problem though it's about 600-700 to replace them. With that size of tires still have the other pieces checked out. If anything needs to be replaced check out some of the other posts in relation to some of the heavy duty applications.

I was also thinking about the shocks and struts as well. Its been a little over 50K+ miles since I had those replaced. Might be the problem.. Probably a good time to add a lift :)