1994 Pathfinder - Odometer Not Turning

Hi

1994 Pathfinder 4x4 5-Speed

Odometer - Not Turning

Trip Meter - Not Turning

A while back ( years ago ) The Odometer would take a few miles ( several ) to turn over from a 10,000 - like from 199,999 to 200,000

Then as time went by it would take more mile to turn over even at a 1,000 mile change

Now the Odometer does not turn over at all - not even 1 mile

The Trip meter was though Working - therefore everytime I filled up - I set the Trip Meter to ZERO and when it got near 190-200 miles - Id go fill up and reset the trip meter

NOW - YES the Trip Meter STOPPED turning

I now have NO IDEA HOW MANY MILES I am driving and therefore RISKING Running out of GAS - BECAUSE My GAS GAUGE is ALSO NOT WORKING !!!

HELP !!!!!

How DO I fix the Odometer and Trip Meter - Problem

Gas gauge - I took a Fuel Pump unit out of junk yard 94 Pathfinder - but Ive been lazy in swapping it out

I was told the Gas gauge unit is attached to Fuel Pump - is this correct ?

Help - Please

Robert

I haven't messed with the round dash cluster much, but when I opened up the dash from my parts car (which also had an inop odometer), I found that the solder joints for the little motor that runs the odometer were cracked. By then I did not have a running truck to test it in (had already pulled the engine out), but I'll bet soldering those up would've done the trick. That is what I'd try. Just be careful while taking it apart, and watch for any bits falling out, in case the plastic gears are what failed.

The fuel gauge is built into the fuel pump assembly, yes. The sender, the wiring, or the gauge could be acting up. I would check the gauge while the cluster is apart. Look for any bad joints and make sure the screws holding it in are tight. Failing that, the service manual (probably the EL section) is your friend.

Remove fuel pump assy from the tank and check your sender operation using a multimeter whicle manually lifting the float- the ohm readings will be in a FSM. 

Check continuity from fuel pump connector to connector in cluster - this will verify the wiring is good. 

Check for dry solder in the cluster - an indication of this is if you can thump the top of the dash, and the gauges work momentarily. 

All this fails, you need a new gauge. 

Because I'm not familiar with the electronics speedometer on the 94 and 95 I can't speak too much for the odometer and trip meters. As for the fuel gauge chances are you have a bad sender. You can still get a new sending unit from Nissan. It is pricey but it works

You can still get a new sending unit from Nissan. It is pricey but it works

As for the fuel gauge chances are you have a bad sender - Im thinking the same thing

I thought the sending unit is attached to the fuel pump ?

The fuel pump is secured to the sending unit, but you can replace the sending unit by itself with no problems. I did it last year on my 93

ok...

I took the entire fuel pump unit out of a 94 that was in a local junk yard

$30.00

I just need to change it out and hope it works

I took the AC compressor off the same pathfinder - mine the ac clutch bearing was screaming - installed / vac'ed / freon - freezes like brand new

On the sending unit, good luck. These things are easily 30 years old of not more. If the next one doesn't work then buy a new one from the dealership. For the price it isn't that bad.

And if you wonder why I say it's not that bad, I bought my 93 for $1000 and by the time I am finished with it I will have $20,000 invested into it

Frenchy

And if you wonder why I say it's not that bad, I bought my 93 for $1000 and by the time I am finished with it I will have $20,000 invested into it

I bought my 94 4x4 5-Speed SE with Off Road Sport Package - from the Son of the Owner of a Nissan Dealership - it had 11,000 miles 9 months old

$20,000 even

He sold it to go to College

Couldn't find anyone that wanted to buy it because it was a 5-speed

We meet - the next morning we meet at my bank

I've probably put $20,000 into since 1994 - 30 yrs -

to include a recent New Engine - after 310,000 miles ( rings cracked )

pulled an engine out of a junk yard 1994 4x4 5-Speed - ( $400 ) verified Vin match

Decked the block and cut heads a little more / Bord Cylinders / new pistons / rings 

Plus a 6 angle valve job - 3 angles on seats and 3 angles on the valves

Rebuilt 5-speed - the 1st/2nd synchro gear snapped and main shaft had a hair line crack in it - so i had the shaft replaced and all the synchro gears replaced

Transfer Case is Solid - I was told probably one of the best ever made

The New Motor sounds great and its fast

30 yrs - 95% Garage keep - except my time living at Telluride, CO

Interior looks fantastic / paint looks brand new ( i use to also do body shop work & detailing )

I use to be an old school automotive machinist / muscle car years

1971 Camero 450hp 202 heads .488/512 cam / 6 angle valve job / decked block / cut heads / Bord Cylinders .30 pistons / 4-speed muncie / .411 posi / ladder bars & cross-bar / sub-frame connectors / 3 " exhust to the rear axle  / 31" rear tires

AC & Power Brakes

Bad-Ass - sounded so mean - rocket off the line - it would pull the front wheels off the ground

Fri / Sat night open headers 1/4 mile Street Racing when the cops really didnt care

those were the days

Edited by PathinTX

I'll have to look into all this next week - I have a mechanic friend that has a shop - on Vaca for 2 weeks

And I get home from work around mid-night

All the info you guys have shared - is very much welcomed - Thank you

I'm not the best with electrical problems -

• 2 months later...