98 Pathfinder Sunroof Drain Exit Point

Hello All, 

Can anyone help me locate the exit point of the front sunroof drain pipes on the driver side of my 98?

I removed the wheel arch plastic cover to take a look but could not locate the exit point. I poured some water in the drain hole and it started dripping outside from under the door.

I was under the impression (after a search on the forum and a look at the service manual) that the exit point should be some sort of grommet in the wheel well next to the door hinge, but for the life of me I cannot locate it!

Does anyone have any photos to exactly locate it? 

Thank you kindly in advance.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 203443.jpg

Edited by TheCROW163

17 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I think the WD21 drains into the rocker panel, no idea about the R50. Have you pulled out the wheel arch liner? Might be hiding behind that.

Yes I pulled it aside and looked for that grommet for hours to no avail.... I wish someone has a photo of its location!

Yes but I can't seem to find exactly where!

On 1/20/2024 at 8:12 AM, Slartibartfast said:

I think the WD21 drains into the rocker panel, no idea about the R50. Have you pulled out the wheel arch liner? Might be hiding behind that.

Yes I pulled it aside and looked for that grommet for hours to no avail.... I wish someone has a photo of its location!

Go figure...my image host is being wonky so I can't upload a pic or find one I already have that probably shows it.  I'll try again later.

It's easy to find, though.  It comes out under the rear quarter panel, not around the door or wheel well...further back.  Look for the bracket that mounts the leading edge of the bumper's side cover to the underside of the quarter panel and it's right behind that.  It'll be a tube with a rubber boot/grommet on it, sticking down about 2".  If the boot goes AWOL, the hose should still be dangling there.

The pic you attached is accurate for the B reference and exists on both sides of the vehicle.   If you've got water dripping under the door, I'd think the hose detached at the rearward point A.  Might have enough slack in the headliner if you pull the b-pillar trim and door gaskets, but the headliner is somewhat rigid in that space and there's some other insulation items to deal with.

Edited by hawairish

On 1/30/2024 at 12:03 AM, hawairish said:

unnamed.jpg

Hawairish, thank you for taking the time to post. Is this photo of R50 Pathfinder's front driver side? I'm looking for the front driver side exit point on my 98.

The exit tube is in front of the tire? Can you please show me on the diagram that I attached in my first post? 

Is this its location? The red circle on the diagram below?

Thank you so much.Screenshot-2024-01-17-203443.jpg

Edited by TheCROW163

8 hours ago, TheCROW163 said:

Is this photo of R50 Pathfinder's front driver side? I'm looking for the front driver side exit point on my 98.

Whoops!  I'm an idiot.

I've still got you covered.  Pull the kick panel under the dash, then pull out the foam in there and you'll find the hose tucked back in there.

IMG-5966.jpg

IMG-5970.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hawairish said:

Whoops!  I'm an idiot.

I've still got you covered.  Pull the kick panel under the dash, then pull out the foam in there and you'll find the hose tucked back in there.

IMG-5966.jpg

IMG-5970.jpg

So incredibly grateful for your help! Can I access the exit point from under the car? Is it visible if I remove the small mud flap and take a look? 

I'm trying to get away without having to remove any trim from the inside as I'm sure something will break and parts are really hard to come by.

But in the worst case having to remove the kick panel, can I disconnect the hose from the inside at the point where it exits the car?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions. 

Edited by TheCROW163

As far as I can tell, this hose just drains into the cavity and any water pours out through holes in the chassis. I could not locate the hose end underneath the truck or behind the mud flap area (my truck has that stuff cut out because of tire rubbing). 

42 minutes ago, hawairish said:

As far as I can tell, this hose just drains into the cavity and any water pours out through holes in the chassis. I could not locate the hose end underneath the truck or behind the mud flap area (my truck has that stuff cut out because of tire rubbing). 

Okay Thanks a lot. I'm gonna try my luck at removing the kick panel and checking it out from the inside. As soon as the weather clears.

If I understand it correctly, the kick panel can be easily removed: Just a screw and a metal clip holding it in, right?

Edited by TheCROW163

Screw and two clips, though be careful as there’s a clip in the center of the panel piece…if any plastic is going to break off, it’ll be at that point. At least that’s how it seemed on mine. 

• Like 1