Finished another SAS

Mookie

Just finished another Sas'd Pathy. This one is using Ford Radius arms, and a Grand Waggy Dana44.

Still some de-bugging, but the major part is done. We worked on it for the month of January (4 full days and 10 evenings).

01910010.JPG

01910001.JPG

Now I can get back to working on mine again :lol:

Wow.......I like it, specially it's the same color as mine. Only a short drive to NB isn't it. Think you could do mine? :lol:. When I find the money to buy a new Pathy. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Mookie, do you have any video of your rig in action? I think Members would get a real kick out of watching your rig. I know I would............Thats a mean rig you have there, -evil- you should definately show it off more............

Take care,

Mike

Now you just need to wrist one of the radius arms. Here is a link to wristed radius arms: Wristed Radius Arms

I used to have a '69 Bronco and thats what they used to do before the Wristed Axle came out.

Thanks for the link. Yes, that's on the to do list!

Probably within the next few months or so.

I love those EB's.

Wow.......I like it, specially it's the same color as mine. Only a short drive to NB isn't it. Think you could do mine? :lol:. When I find the money to buy a new Pathy. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Very short drive...lol!

Mookie, do you have any video of your rig in action? I think Members would get a real kick out of watching your rig. I know I would............Thats a mean rig you have there, -evil- you should definately show it off more............

Take care,

Mike

S'cuse the multiple posts (to lazy today to organize and put in one post :D )

No video. But will have some hopefully this spring. (perhaps the tax return will be enough)

Almost have to do a run specifically for pictures and video. Or at least have someone in the group dedicated to shoot vid and pics.

A solid axle conversion isn't something any normal Joe can do...it involves cutting off the entire IFS system and getting the new axle, spring perches, shocks, crossmember, steering, gearing and everything set up just right. Then you have to get a new front driveshaft built...it all adds up.

That's why I was asking earlier....MOOKIE! HOW MUCH?!?

A solid axle conversion isn't something any normal Joe can do...it involves cutting off the entire IFS system and getting the new axle, spring perches, shocks, crossmember, steering, gearing and everything set up just right. Then you have to get a new front driveshaft built...it all adds up.

That's why I was asking earlier....MOOKIE! HOW MUCH?!?

It's a money pit...it all adds up, and adds up and adds up. What you think it's going to cost, will end up triple or more.

You need to do alot of research, or have some buddys that can help you out. You don't want to compromise saftey anywhere in a project like that.

Ya gotta love your Pathy or it's better to find another vehicle with a solid axle or a 4runner that you can SAS because of the kits/parts readily available for them. However, the Calmini kit will be out soon so that's good news.

It requires a ton of your time and is highly distracting to whatever else you are doing. Plus you're out of a vehicle if you don't have another one. Then you have to de-bug it...a litte more money spent here and there. But I'm extremely happy with mine. I'm glad I did it. I spent a year collecting parts, but I would probably spend more time to find better deals to save money. Taking your time is the key.

I spent approx. 3K Cdn on parts alone. (what's that, about 1500.00 Us? Lol )I also swapped out the rear diff which adds to the cost, but still was cheaper to re-gear and get a locker for it than re-gearing and paying for Nissan Gears. Most of the parts were used. In fact anything I could get used, I got. Then if needed, I rebuilt the diffs with new bearings, seals, etc. Gears, carriers, new inner seals and install for the gears cost 1400.00cdn because I had them done with the diffs on the Pathy. Much, much cheaper to take the diffs in before hand to get set up. Would have been about 3/4 the cost. Drive shafts were also pricey items. Tires and wheels, used. Shocks, breaklines, drag link were all new. Steering box (Scout II Saginaw box), leaf springs front and rear were used. I only paid like 60.00 for the springs total. The bushings for them cost more than that!

I payed to have it welded so add $$ on top of it.

The coil Pathyn in the picture is probably around 4K in parts which includes the custom out sourced work. He had a pitman arm custom made while I used a Jeep pitman arm. My steering components were also cheaper as I used Chevy off the shelf components. That also includes new rims and tires.

You can do it much cheaper, it just depends on what you want. If you can find diffs with the gearing you want, then that's a huge savings right there. Don't go high, and your driveshaft costs are cheaper. Cross members can be a pain to do too. I have one more I'm going to add.

Leafs are easier to setup. Coils are very nice, but require more time to get things to fit because of the nature of the setup.

• 2 years later...

Ok I just had to dig this one up from the past...

Mookie, that looks great, I have always loved your truck and this one appears to be another example of a job well done :aok:

How is your truck doing, anything you would do differently if you were to do it all over again?

And this truck, is it still around? How is it holding up... and problems?

Oh and how did it do off-road compared to stock.. and to your leaf sprung conversion?

Again, fine job :)

• 5 months later...