Any idea what this loud tapping noise is?

Hey, all! New to the forum, but I’m glad to be here! So, I really want to buy this ‘95 Pathfinder but I’m a little concerned about the noise it’s making in these videos I’ve linked. The guy selling it said he knows for sure it has an exhaust leak but I’ve never heard an exhaust leak quite like this before. It’s so hard to tell in the videos where it’s coming from, but it sounds loud no matter where he’s putting the camera. I’m just afraid of driving 600 miles to buy it only to get there and find out it’s got rod knock or something like that. Anyone here ever heard a similar noise from their Pathfinders? 

PS, if it’s any consolation, he did send me a video of him driving it down the highway.

https://imgur.com/a/JFFvR0Y

Edited by Sad_sriracha

These are known for exhaust leaks (at the manifolds and at the Y pipe), and lifter tick isn't uncommon, but I've never heard that pattern. Slow crescendo of ticks, then silence, then repeats. Not sure what to make of that. Might be a heat shield or a baffle in the muffler that's loose. I don't know what would make an engine noise come and go like that. I am of course assuming that's actually what's going on and the potato the seller filmed with doesn't have some kind of background noise cancelling that's playing silly buggers. 

The acceleration video sounds like it's got a hell of an exhaust leak, or no muffler, though again I don't know how much is the truck and how much is the mic in the guy's phone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

These are known for exhaust leaks (at the manifolds and at the Y pipe), and lifter tick isn't uncommon, but I've never heard that pattern. Slow crescendo of ticks, then silence, then repeats. Not sure what to make of that. Might be a heat shield or a baffle in the muffler that's loose. I don't know what would make an engine noise come and go like that. I am of course assuming that's actually what's going on and the potato the seller filmed with doesn't have some kind of background noise cancelling that's playing silly buggers. 

The acceleration video sounds like it's got a hell of an exhaust leak, or no muffler, though again I don't know how much is the truck and how much is the mic in the guy's phone.

Thought the same thing about the acceleration video lol. So hard to tell because of course he’s got a garbage phone. Guy wants 2.5K for it, could probably get it for 2K, maybe less, I just don’t wanna make a six hour round trip to find out it’s gonna explode soon.

The very end of the first video I heard what sounded like a lifter. Everything prior to that was just some kind of bad muffled noises, which I don't think is telling of anything. Some things are better identified in person.

Other observations from the acceleration video; What is the red light on the bottom of the dash? I'm not familiar with that. Also, Take a look at the tach, it doesn't appear to move past 2. 

The price seems reasonable. I spent that much on mine almost 10 years ago.