Pitman Arm

Teesetz

Does anyone know where to get a pitman arm for a 94 xe? I broke the stud off in the center link joint and CANNOT for the life of me get it out. Went through 2 tie rod pullers, Heated, and air chiseled over and over and over to no avail. At this point I’m looking to just replace the whole pitman arm, but they are hard to find, or when I find them they are outrageously priced.

Thanks in advance,

-Trevor

Nissanpartsdeal says they have them. The part number might help you find one listed cheaper, but given it's not a part that wears out, I wouldn't expect to find an aftermarket version. I bought one from a wrecking yard a while back, but keep in mind you'll need one off a mid '92 or later. Earlier arms have smaller tapers, and the very early/4-cylinder arms have smaller splines too. Expect a fight getting it off the steering box.

Which side broke, the bolt or the joint? If the link is still on there, have you tried a pickle fork? If you're using the pullers with two arms, I haven't had much luck with those either. I use one of these and haven't managed to break it yet. Usually I'll tighten it up and whack the end of the screw with the hammer.

If it still won't come loose/air hammer turned it to hamburger, and you can't find one locally, PM me. I've got one on my parts truck. 

It’s on the top side. I cannot find any locally and the only other one I found besides the one you sent me was $100 more than that one. I’ll message you.

Thanks!

6319e380f82811f25a1a9fde3c95cf76.jpg

Heat and a press? If you can manage that you should be golden. Also check into a machine shop. Perhaps they can remove it without damaging the pitman arm. Just have to remove the pitman arm from the box. Just make sure you mark it.

Yeah I heated and heated and also burned through 2 tie rod tools and this was before I took the nut off the arm itself and ran into the same amount of grief trying to get the arm off. Absolutely jammed. Then the air chisel did a number on the center link side of the arm.

Better off with a new arm I think. A relief cut on the arm and I should be able to get it off.

Oof. Yeah, that sounds like time to give up on the arm. A relief cut should do it, just make sure you don't nick the splines. Cut it most of the way, crack it with a chisel.

Replied to your PM. Arm is off the donor, just need an address to send it to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for coming in Clutch with the pitman arm! It was an absolute fight to the bitter end with that thing. Thankfully I am one more evenings work away from taking her to the alignment shop, and then it’s wheeling all dang summer. Also feels great to finally have all my tools over to my place.

Cheers!

8fe1c4d305db4b0d5f555ab24b5b5091.jpg
fb3171083fbc70f5247e0732ca5f20ce.jpg
c9f26eb0b6b8052b298c1f3a64946ad0.jpg
bffe5b02cce50bd4ee8624b5118dc44b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work, just make sure you put the grease zerks in those tie rod ends, and give them a few pumps of lube so they don’t fill with dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Definitely!

Also just realized I may as well go ahead and do tension rod bushing since I’ve gone this far. Going to get those ordered, the nuts pb blasted, and THEN the alignment shop lol

On 6/23/2023 at 10:52 PM, Teesetz said:

Definitely!

Also just realized I may as well go ahead and do tension rod bushing since I’ve gone this far. Going to get those ordered, the nuts pb blasted, and THEN the alignment shop lol

Make sure the cups aren't gone. If they are you need to get them fixed before the alignment. If you don't it will never hold alignment.

• Like 2