1998 Pathfinder Kill Switch options

Hey All, 

I would like your help in installing a kill switch on my 98 4x4 Auto SE. 

I still have the factory alarm and remotes functioning fine, but it I think it's not enough as the thieves are getting pretty resourceful, they are even using scanners to steal recent models Grand Cherokees, so I'm worried about my Pathy cos they have are stealing older cars as well.

What's the best way to install it? I know most people install it on the fuel pump relay, but if it's possible I would like to install it in a way that the starter motor won't fire at all.

Is this possible and can I do it myself? All details and guides are greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Edited by TheCROW163

10 hours ago, CALPATHY said:

Personally I would not do it, but you can splice into the starter solenoid wire.

Why wouldn't you do it, if you don't mind my asking. I'm reluctant to do it myself, but I think I have to find a way.

What would you advise me to do in order to prevent it from being stolen? Is there a better way?

A friend of mine has a Hard Body, he took it to an electrician yesterday and had him install a kill switch for him, I don't know how he did it, but now before flipping the switch on, the truck won't start, starter motor won't fire, no power to the dash but the other electricals still function, like the power windows, horn and radio etc....  Where do you think he installed it?

Edited by TheCROW163

13 hours ago, TheCROW163 said:

Why wouldn't you do it, if you don't mind my asking. I'm reluctant to do it myself, but I think I have to find a way.

What would you advise me to do in order to prevent it from being stolen? Is there a better way?

A friend of mine has a Hard Body, he took it to an electrician yesterday and had him install a kill switch for him, I don't know how he did it, but now before flipping the switch on, the truck won't start, starter motor won't fire, no power to the dash but the other electricals still function, like the power windows, horn and radio etc....  Where do you think he installed it?

Too much of a possibility of a bad connection to the solenoid at some point in time (plus mine is a manual it can still be started without a starter), the fuel pump kill switch would be better in my opinion (or you can just remove the fuel pump fuse if you only need it on occasion).  The electrician probably spliced into the second stage of the ignition switch circuit.

Edited by CALPATHY
more info

Maybe he installed an ECU cut. I've thought of going that far, but not really sure how worth it that really is. I have a manual and never thought of the starter because of that. Fuel pump is a better option, but thats a pretty common one, someone might figure it out pretty quick.

If all the windows and blower motor still function but theres no dash activity, that's where I would think he cut into. 

Edited by Strato_54

Some modern trash can be stolen via scan tool. These are too old for that. Unfortunately it looks like yours is also too old to have the factory immobilizer (looks like that started in '99?)--though that's not all bad, as you don't have to pay through the nose to get a new key cut.

A kill switch for the starter, fuel pump, or both wouldn't be too hard to rig up. Mighty Car Mods and Chrisfix both have youtube videos on installing kill switches, and you can get the wiring diagrams from Nicoclub to see what runs where. Just make sure you do it cleanly, with minimal harness hacking, in a way that's not going to give you problems later on. Things designed to make the truck not start have a way of making the truck not start when you'd rather it did, especially if they're poorly done. I removed the stock alarm from my '93 because it was interfering with the starter circuit intermittently--and that was port-installed, not even aftermarket crap. 

Make a note of what you did (which wires, what color, cut where) in case you (or someone else!) need to troubleshoot an electrical fault later on. 

Sounds like the switch in your friend's D21 is breaking multiple circuits. Probably just a double-throw switch, with one side cutting the starter circuit and the other side cutting power to the dash. 

I too have removed the fuel pump fuse when parking somewhere I didn't trust. I've never had someone try to steal it, so I don't know how effective that would've been. Depends on the tweaker, I guess.