Rocksliders and Skidplates

Flyer

Yeah, I have confidence that it will work well... As for cost, I got a 24x48" 1/2" thick sheet delivered for $120 incl tax and shipping; thats enough for 2 large front skids. I'm sure I can find the material locally cheaper, but I wanted to get started right away...

B

check out www.cardomain.com/id/volcomdude17 i made my rocksliders myself they stick out far enough so i use them as a step and smaller car doors will hit those before my doors  :D .. i also made some skidplates

Great job on the SLiders. I like those- they do stick out far enough to effectivly use as a step without slipping off. The other bonus is that the cars will hit it before hitting your vehicle- I love that!

Well, I will keep looking to see which Sliders to get- I definitely can't make them myself.

oh yea they stick out far enough for steps! like nerf bars..maybe a hair more..

ill take pics of my front skidplate tomorrow..i didnt realizre i didnt have a pic on my site

Well, Marcel at Black Panther has great skidplates BUT he does not have one for the Transfer Case, just two pieces for the front and middle of the underside. Anyway, I need to look for one that covers the TC as well.

Additionally, he said he was looking at making Sliders though I don't know how long I can wait (maybe I can) though the Skidplates are more critical. I do want Sliders that stick out further though. I hope I don't end up buying something that sits even closer than stock step bars.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my skids after the trip to Coal Creek, TN with NOAS:

88postcc001.jpg

The only damage of note is one of the rear most screws was beheaded, and the very front got a nice abrasion. Otherwise they did their job and protected all the vital parts (like the low hanging exhaust cross over pipe). For the $30 I spent on this I am quite happy. I do plan to do some trimming on them to allow access for oil and other drain plugs, but the plactic will make doing that a simple chore. :aok:

I think I need to take an engineering class or something..... I want all those goodies..but am absolutely NO GOOD with figures...design..blah blah... :(

• 5 months later...

Here are some pics of a custom skid plate I made for my R50. I used 14 gauge steel and some 1/2" angle iron to protect the bottom bolts from shearing. It still needs a couple more mounting bolts to make me feel better about its durability, but I'm gonna test it some this weekend. I decided to keep the original bracket for added durability, but it could easily be eliminated. Did all the work at my uncle's metal shop in about 2 hours. It'll make oil filter changes more interesting, but the added protection is worth it.

post-1-1132197941.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work dk !! :clap: I hope it is thick enough to withstand a solid hit though... And yeah, the stock mounting points pretty much suck, especially with the M6 bolts. I've been thinking about that but don't have any definite or proven answers yet.

Hey Crazy, JJ Big Shoe has the prototype, but I don't know if he has mounted it yet. Just waiting for feed back at this point. It turned out fairly well considering a 1 off and the learning curve, but I already have some improvements in mind, not to mention going with 3/8 instead of 1/2" to lessen the material and forming cost. I suspect the 1/2" is overkill for most people and it takes a while to form properly. Once my test driver runs into a few things and spring rolls around, I should be able to make some for sale and look at underbody plates also. No garage in the winter sucks !!

Thanks for the interest, and I'll definitely keep you posted ! B)

Oh, here is a link to the one I made if you missed it...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6031&hl=skid

B

14 gauge.. that's about 1/16" thickness no? That's thinner than what the stock plates on my Pathy are, but I've already managed to mingle them. Perhaps you may want to consider adding some more material to make it stronger, especially since it's only a flat piece without any bends in the middle.

Edited by Filthy Luker