Air condition (AC) not cooling initially

Nix

I have a weird issue with my AC.

I start the engine in the morning, I then switch on the AC hitting the auto button. I then hit the AC circulate button after 2 mins.

The car is just blowing warm air (not hot)

Frustrated I then switch off the AC and put it back on immediately. Now the cooling kicks in. Through out the day, I switch on and off the Pathy, the AC still works fine.

Its only after maybe 10 - 12 hours gap when the engine is OFF, the cooling doesn't come on immediately on starting. I'm thinking its an electrical issue.

I have replaced both the thermostats. The problem persisted even before that.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

If the system hasn't been charged since factory, its possible the pressure isn't as high as it used to be. My brother's WD21 will blow warm then cold repeatedly while hearing the compressor kicking on and off. This is usually the sign of low refrigerant. Heat also expands, so its possible when it gets warm the refrigerant is getting to a high enough temperature for the system to "function". The VG has a weird adapter harness so the connection might be loose on one of the plugs. Not 100% on the VQ, I'd have to look at my donor car to know for sure. Testing for 12V at the plug should give a pretty good indication on how the system is functioning. 12V should turn on the compressor, and 0V off. 

Edited by Strato_54
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 1:29 AM, Nix said:

I have a weird issue with my AC.

I start the engine in the morning, I then switch on the AC hitting the auto button. I then hit the AC circulate button after 2 mins.

The car is just blowing warm air (not hot)

Frustrated I then switch off the AC and put it back on immediately. Now the cooling kicks in. Through out the day, I switch on and off the Pathy, the AC still works fine.

Its only after maybe 10 - 12 hours gap when the engine is OFF, the cooling doesn't come on immediately on starting. I'm thinking its an electrical issue.

I have replaced both the thermostats. The problem persisted even before that.

Any help would be appreciated.

The first thing you would want to do is check for leaks, the most common areas to check for leaks is where the aluminum lines are crimped onto the rubber hose on the low-pressure a/c line. This is the line that runs along the top front edge of your engine, if it's leaking it will be wet and greasy looking. If it's not leaking and you have verified the system has the correct amount of freon in it, then you can try cleaning your condenser and evaporator core. Here's a few videos for you to watch on the subject, there's also links in the video description for what you would need to clean your condenser and evaporator core.

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan
  • Like 2

Thanks guy for the support.

The most recent update is that I've replaced the A/C condenser, cleaned the A/C evaporator, and checked and refilled the pressure. Initially, this resolved the issue for about a month, but now the A/C has completely stopped working. Despite the compressor cycling on and off (as evidenced by the clicking sound), there's no cooling at all. With summer in full swing, this has become a pressing concern.

I've attempted to inspect the A/C lines for any faults. However, mechanics are suggesting that I replace the compressor, which comes with a hefty cost. Additionally, there's uncertainty about whether replacing the compressor will resolve the issue.

If you're still running the factory mechanical cluch cooling fan, make sure the clutch is still in good condition. There should be some resistance when rotating by hand with the engine off. If you try to push it really fast and it keeps spinning, this is your issue. Does the engine maintain proper temp for a long time at idle with the A/C off? The fan should be able to keep the engine cool at idle for a long period of time with out over heating. 

Its also possible the pressure sensor could be going faulty, and looking at a service manual diagram there isn't a temperature sensor for the refrigerant. (HA-31)

Edited by Strato_54
  • Like 1