vortex valve

chapter

has anybody had tried the vortex valve to save fuel on his Pathfinder??? According to the pub we can save fuel with this simple device! It's just a kind of special shape device you put in the air duct. It implied a spin to the air making the air/fuel mixture better...

has anybody had tried the vortex valve to save fuel on his Pathfinder??? According to the pub we can save fuel with this simple device! It's just a kind of special shape device you put in the air duct. It implied a spin to the air making the air/fuel mixture better...

bunch-o-crap with no scientific basis.

The only vortex it generates is that which sucks the cash from your wallet

so does that mean that you guys tried it or not??

I too was thinking of trying to obtain this 10% gain...even 10% would gt me about 20 miles more out of a tank..thus one free gallon. I can live with that.

If intake plenum spacers work (with their semi-swirled shape) i don't see why putting a small spin in the begining would yeild zilch...besides it is the only option i can find anywhere for improving gas milage on an engine that just seems to work very hard to maintain.

....lil' help from any angle on the gas saving tips (other than reg. maint.) would be sweet...i know that those little girl tires the truck came with probably did roll better!! ;)

I for one havn't tried one of those products, but all i hear about them is that they are a joke and yada yada yada.... im guess about 90% of those people are saying that because they heard it from elsewhere, and the rest is the people that actually have scientific proof and reasoning that it wont work. As for my opinion, I'd be most interested to see someone actually buy and isntall one then dyno it before and after. even if its a small gain, its still a gain.

It looks to me though that all it will do is restrict air flow, however i could be wrong.

It looks to me though that all it will do is restrict air flow, however i could be wrong.

Restrict airflow is just about all this junk does. Oh, and make a loud annoying fan-noise from under the hood. All you have to do is sit down and think about it hard enough and it's pretty obvious how worthless these things are.

Want better mileage? Make more power. Same fuel with more HP = less fuel needed to achieve the same speed. The more powerful a motor, the more efficiently it is operating. Obviously this excludes turbos, SCs, or anything else that requires a boost in fuel consumption.

so does that mean that you guys tried it or not??

Don't need to. I'm an aerospace engineer and have had my share of design analysis over the past 15 years or so. If you want to get into a discussion about the fluid-dynamics of the thing (and in this case, they are treating the air like a fluid), I can but I'd prefer to keep it on the simple side. The claim is that it makes the air get into the engine faster. Sucking through a 4" tube isn't gonna starve your engine of air. Also, if you trace the pathways that the air flows, putting a 'vortex' in the main intake tube is quickly negated by the breakdown and redirection of the flow. There has been some (and I use that term loosley) success in using a device like this in a vertical intake into a standard carb but that only had to do with the completeness of the air/fuel mixture when it entered the combustion chamber and not the fuel to air ratio. If you changed the intake to have a couple bends in it, the benefit was lost as the air just flowed normally. Also, with an injector system where it is in the grand scheme of things on the pathy's engine, the addition of 'swirling air' will have absolutely no effect.

However.... if you want to try, I would suggest snipping a tin can and making some fins. Same effect and a lot less money.

Edited by k9sar

I heard that if you put a teaspoon of acetone into your fuel it helps the fule burn more cleanly and gives you better milage. Some crap about lessening the surface tension of the fuel and allowing to burn cleaner and move faster. acetone is about 150+ octane I believe.

anyone else heard anything about this? i heard from someone who heard (so the saying goes) that they are going to start adding it to production fuel as an adative to help burn gas cleaner. True? yes? no?

there have been lots of studies about fuel addatives and their performance gain. Teh addition of a small amount of acetone (or probably any of the ketone family) will give you a small percentage increase. I twill aslo introduce water to your engine as acetone is about 5% water. Not enough to hydrolock but I wouldn't want it sitting in my tabk or engine to rust. Also, the acetone will dissolve or break the bonds between hydrocarbon polymers. It'll eat your fuel lines quicker than without the acetone.