QX4 Window Tinting?

QX4nicate

Looking to tint my windows as dark as they can legally go. 

Virginia State Tint Laws: 

"No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the rear side windows or rear window or windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of the Commonwealth that reduce the total light transmittance of such window to less than 35 percent;"

"No sun-shading or tinting films may be applied or affixed to the front side windows of any motor vehicle operated on the highways of the Commonwealth that reduce total light transmittance of such window to less than 50 percent;"

So, 50% in the front, 35% in the rear. 

I think I want to do 55% and 40% because I've that the cops around my area like to pull people over if their tint is even questionable. 

What percentage are the windows tinted at stock from the factory? I imagine that I'd have to do the math. For example if the rear hatch glass was 70% from factory, I could only drop it by 30%, maybe I'm over thinking it but a 50% tint film applied over a 70% colored glass tint window would give me 20%? 

What's the best film/kit to use for less than $200?

ive been thinking about tinting recently too, but im concerned about visibility when off roading.  im a noob tho might not be an issue at all.  lmk what u think.

Personally I'd stick to stock or very light tint on any window you want to see through at night. Tinted windows are like sunglasses, you don't want them at night (unless you're Corey Hart).

The PO of mine tinted everything but the windshield and the sunroof. I don't know what percentage it was, but it was way too dark. It felt like I was driving a cave. I don't normally get claustrophobic, but, yeah, that crap had to go. I left the rear doors and the cargo area windows dark (can't see through those anyway), but swapped in a stock-tint rear window so I could see out the back, and stripped the front windows bare. I like the result a whole lot better.

I don't know what the factory percentage is, but I would expect a place that installs window tints to have a meter they'd let you use, probably the same type the cops use. And yes, I would expect the % blocked to add up like that, assuming the films aren't polarized.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boomer said:

ive been thinking about tinting recently too, but im concerned about visibility when off roading.  im a noob tho might not be an issue at all.  lmk what u think.

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Personally I'd stick to stock or very light tint on any window you want to see through at night. Tinted windows are like sunglasses, you don't want them at night (unless you're Corey Hart).

The PO of mine tinted everything but the windshield and the sunroof. I don't know what percentage it was, but it was way too dark. It felt like I was driving a cave. I don't normally get claustrophobic, but, yeah, that crap had to go. I left the rear doors and the cargo area windows dark (can't see through those anyway), but swapped in a stock-tint rear window so I could see out the back, and stripped the front windows bare. I like the result a whole lot better.

I don't know what the factory percentage is, but I would expect a place that installs window tints to have a meter they'd let you use, probably the same type the cops use. And yes, I would expect the % blocked to add up like that, assuming the films aren't polarized.

The more I've been thinking about it I think I'd just like to tint the front side windows a bit. Either enough to match the rear side windows or slightly lighter. Thanks for the info! 

I’d echo this 100%. I’m a bug fan of tinting my street cars but I would think twice on an off-road vehicle, especially if you ever drive offroad at night. It’s even more questionable for those of us that live in the Western PNW because our days are generally grey most of the year as well.

It should be noted that the dust can eat through that tint if you like to drive with your windows down. I generally explored as a solo vehicle my first couple decades & my truck has lines permanently etched in the rear row windows from the extremely sharp volcanic SW dust. I had this easily by 30-40K but my truck has been a trip truck for all but a handful of years. Aftermarket tint is less robust so keep that in mind if it’s dusty & you drive with the front windows partially down.

Now that my truck is largely a toy & in the PNW exclusively, I did tint my driver’s side windows to match. In most places this should be all you have to ask for. There are hand held devices which can measure your tint percentage - these are what some law enforcement officers carry in their patrol car for field checks.

Tinting your front windshield is essentially illegal in every state - but much harder, if not impossible, to field check.

Also, while annoying I’ve been ticketed in my old Z for having windows that didn’t meet California requirements despite the fact that I lived in & the car was registered in another state. Doesn’t seem like that should be possible or legal but when I went to court to politely demonstrate that I met KS law, the judge in LA ruled against me & I then had legal fees on top of my fine. Bull@!*% but it would have required an even more expensive lawyer to have tried to fight it, even my protest at the ruling had the judge threatening to increase my fine or add contempt & I was genuinely being polite & simply presenting KS legal requirements & proof of my residence. That said, I’ve driven without a front plate on 2 of my 3 cars for years now without a problem - probably the result of now being an old white guy in the suburbs.

Like alot of things, it’s all in the enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 8:04 AM, RainGoat said:

Also, while annoying I’ve been ticketed in my old Z for having windows that didn’t meet California requirements despite the fact that I lived in & the car was registered in another state. Doesn’t seem like that should be possible or legal but when I went to court to politely demonstrate that I met KS law, the judge in LA ruled against me & I then had legal fees on top of my fine. Bull@!*% but it would have required an even more expensive lawyer to have tried to fight it, even my protest at the ruling had the judge threatening to increase my fine or add contempt & I was genuinely being polite & simply presenting KS legal requirements & proof of my residence. That said, I’ve driven without a front plate on 2 of my 3 cars for years now without a problem - probably the result of now being an old white guy in the suburbs.

When was this? They amount of $hit I have seen on the roadways here in California blows my mind. I have seen cars with like 15% tinted windshields along with limo tint side/rear windows. Cops here are an absolute joke and this state has been on a rapid decline since the 90s. I won't ever pay any money to the CA DMV in registration fees. Absolutely none of the fees go towards the roadway infrastructure or maintenance. I could go on all day about the $hithole CA has become.