Check engine light still a problem

jammer

I got a used engine (92 or 93) put into my 95 Pathfinder and the check engine light came on about 5 min after I left Toyota (closest Nissan is 2.5 hrs away). I took it back, they cleared the codes and the light went off but came on again 5 min later and was staying on all the time. Just the other day it started going off and then coming on again every so often. No real pattern to it. I took it to a Nissan dealer finally and the same thing happened. They checked everything, as there is no code to read and couldn’t find any problem. The light was off when I picked it up and it came on again 5 min later.

One thing they did find was an O2 sensor they forgot to connect. Apparently it is supposed to connect somewhere near the middle of the engine so it looks like Toyota is going to have to take some stuff off to reconnect it. That should piss them off cause I’m not paying for it!

The mechanic at Nissan said the O2 sensor wouldn’t cause the check engine light to come on so I’m still trying to figure it out. I have asked this question before but at the time the light was staying on. So now that it goes on and off I thought I’d ask again.

Would not surprise me if he was an idiot. Here is a picture of the sensor. I have also included a picture of one of the wiring harnesses that Toyota "modified" trying to fix the problem. The new end on the new engine didn't match up so they said they called a Nissan dealer and this was something he suggested. I'm not sure what wires they pulled out but I know they are putting them back. Is it an O2 sensor?

I'm thinking the O2 sensor on my '91 'finder with a V6 was a three wire lead. If I'm not mistaken the O2 sensors in this generation motor are heated. My O2 sensor when I replaced it last year was like $125 buckaroos. I don't know that this will solve your check engine light issue but your connection is a total hack job. :o

Make those "factory trained" monkeys do the job right the first time. You don't want to get me started on my Toyota dealer's abilites or lack there of. :furious: Mine Toyota dealer's misdoings were at least on a Toyota to start with, brand new Toyota not to mention but a Toyota none the less.

JMTC

Mike

Hey jammer, I have to agree with M about the hack job... Wraping wires with tape is an "on the road" repair, not something a stealership should do. Atleast terminate the wires professionally !! If that is how they treated the easy stuff, I can imagine how other things were done. I won't say all the work was crap, but some definitely is. Dont be shy about calling, complaining, and visiting with the insistance that something be done/redone; you payed them for good work/service. I recently had an autobody shop pull a worse hack job than that. By being calm, realistic, and a constant pain in the a$$, from a $1900 bill, I got $200 off immediately, 2 parts worth about $200 (as a go away now gift) and on my last visit, a $600 refund. Thats more than 50% off; I called it even and never ACTUALLY threatened anyone. :P I cant help you with the sensor question, but I can advise not to be shy about issues you are having.

Bernard

Thanks for the support Bernard. I have already got about $300 in parts at N/C and six hours of labour as well since they decided on their own to fix some stuff they found without checking with me first. And I'm not going to give up. They were more then happy to say they could do the job but suddenly now that there are problems they say it's not their fault and if I wanted it perfect I should have bought a "new" engine. I know the owner and I haven't had to go to him yet. I'm keeping that in my back pocket for the last time I go in there.

Has anyone else put a 92 or 93 motor in a 95 and had problems with wiring harnesses matching up?

Another question for everyone... would it be possible for them to damage or hook up the auto transmission wrong when they replaced the engine? I wasn't experiencing problem till about a week after I got the engine done. There is a delay sometimes when I put it into reverse and it feels like a slightly harder shift going into second gear. I asked they guys at Nissan and they said it was most likly the seals that would have to be redone and they quoted me $2200 CND to do it. I do have 205 000 km on the tranny and I do plow with it as well. Fluid is OK. Any thoughts?

Jammer

in pic 1 i don't think it's O2 wire. looks a bit too short plus it's needs to be 3wire plug. it runs just under that plug (it should be in the zip-tie just below,) by the alluminum pipe... and it runs to just short of the battery on a little "tree" with another plug set on it...

I'll have to look under my hood to even guess pic 2 but, it doesn't look professional to me eihter...

shifting tranny: do you have an external cooler on yours? it has quite a few miles on it.. could be going.... also, the shift celenid could be the culprit...

Try to check the ECU yourself. it's easy and the directions are in the garage (sticky)

in pic 1 i don't think it's O2 wire. looks a bit too short plus it's needs to be 3wire plug. it runs just under that plug (it should be in the zip-tie just below,) by the alluminum pipe... and it runs to just short of the battery on a little "tree" with another plug set on it...

The wire runs down about five inches and joins another wire and they are wrapped but it looks like it may run around the passanger side and then it joins another group of wires that are covered. It looks like there are a couple of other plugs in the area that look the same. I'm so not a mechanic so it's hard to tell what is what.

And how would I tell if I had a cooler on the trany?

Jammer

it would be attached somewhere by the radiator... and the hoses wouldn't run to the stock rad but to the extra cooler..

the O2 wire should run straight back, from the back of passenger's side valve cover, under passenger's floor and then it goes over the top of the tranny to under the driver's seat area where the o2 is located in the exhaust pipe... just forward of the tranny x-member.. the o2 wire is by itself...