Using Engine Braking

KevinKernaghan

I drive a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder equipped with a manual transmission, which is lots of fun. And ever since driving a 5-speed Saturn with poor brakes, I got into the habit of using engine braking very liberally and frequently when coming to stops, partially because:

A: it's fun

B: it bothers my girlfriend

C: it saves wear and tear on the more frequently replaced brake pads.

Not that I ever get anywhere near approaching the redline, or even above 3500 RPM, but, is there a potential problem with subjecting the engine to additional compression like this? Will it affect gas mileage?

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by KevinKernaghan

Well, I think it has a lot more to do with how you're doing it. Are you rev matching when you downshift? If not, that's added wear on your clutch, as well as extra stress on your input bearings and such. It's a heckuvalot easier to replace brake pads than it is to replace a clutch or bearings.

LOL Okay, then you obviously know your tranny pretty well. Even though the extra wear and tear would be minimal, it's still going to be better on all your parts to use your brakes instead, but I won't preach, because then I would be a hypocrite. sssh

I am one of those "lazy people"... when I am coming to a stop (I also have a 5 speed) I just plonk her in neutral and coast..then I just use the brakes....

I would rather use the brakes, and save wear on everything else.. but..it's all down to personal preference in the end. -bounce-

I am one of those "lazy people"... when I am coming to a stop (I also have a 5 speed) I just plonk her in neutral and coast..then I just use the brakes....

that's how my girlfriend drives!

how well does that work out for you in icy or snowy conditions? :nono:

In any normal situation, its best to put the truck in neutral (I dont use the clutch :P ) and use the brakes. Brakes are the cheapest easiest thing to replace... But then I do understand and respect the annoying the GF part; I do the same at times. I figure everything should be equal in a relationship :D

B

that's how my girlfriend drives!

how well does that work out for you in icy or snowy conditions? :nono:

hehehehee... I live in California...... sly

I use the engine for braking all the time. I find it is a lot more fun to drive that way. I was europe one summer where 99% of the vehicles were standard and 99% of the drivers used engine braking. (My made up numbers but that's what it seemed like.) So we are not alone in the world!

Only problem I ever heard from this was the rear engine bearing ??? (thrust bearing??) comes under a lot strain and can wear faster. Never saw it happen but read it somewhere on this same topic.

Brian

Edited by br2an

Any time I drive a manual I always downshift rather than ride the brake, heck my old Honda Accord I could even stop it with 1st gear and no brake.

By killin it? :P

:angry: No, finnessing the clutch :aok:

Now... if we were talking in my semi..... engine braking all the way! (or if I was driving in snow/ice)..... I would LOVE to drive like a race car driver.. but my racing days are over.... now I just cruise along.... waiting for my next bout of road rage to arise.... darn i'm getting old! :blink:

I've always heard that "floating the gears" would be hard on the fork, but I read in a 4x4 mag not too long ago that is better because there's less wear and tear on the clutch and other tranny stuff... If you can do it right... :aok:

A combination of slowing down on the brakes and dropping down through the gears is always going to be the winner here ;)

Thats the approach I take in my VW! Wish I could use the same method on the Pathy, but I Keep hitting the brake on accident while looking for its clutch :D

hokiruu

Down shifting while in the event of an expected traction loss is a bad idea. It changes the torque the to rear tires, even if almost perfect match, and cause a spin out. I've done it myself and learned the hard way by crunching into a snow bank, and almost once again later due to the same reason before I relized what I was doing out of habit.