Door drops 1/4 inch when opening

Mrelcocko

Long story short dummy me bent one of my doors and it so happens to be the driver side. Whats the easiest way to fix it? Buy complete new hinges?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

If the hinges are what's bent, then probably. I'd check to make sure you didn't tweak the sheetmetal though, that would make the repair extra difficult and you'd want to be prepped for that ahead of time.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I pretty much guarantee it's the sheetmetal that the hinges attach to that's bent. It's incredibly weak, while the hinges themselves are pretty solid. My back right door hinge thing ripped the sheet metal it was attached to clean off just on the part that keeps the door held open, so it still opens and closes perfectly but just falls shut if there's wind or if it's parked on a hill or whatever.

Anyway, all that to say that the metal it ripped out was super duper thin, so you may have to experiment with trying to leverage the door upwards to pull the metal back into place.

Can you see (pictures maybe?) if it looks like the metal itself is bent or if it actually is just the hinge?

• Like 1

You sure it's bent? Both of my WD21s acted like that when the door hinges were worn out. I could grab the door and wiggle it up and down on the play in the hinges.

If it's the actual sheet metal that's bent, I'd just open the door a little, put a rubber pad or carpet scrap or something on the floor jack, and then lift the back corner of the door until it lines up again. Might take a little trial and error to get it perfect. Obviously keep an eye on the door to make sure you're not deforming it. (A 2x4 or something under the door might help spread the load.)

• Like 3

You sure it's bent? Both of my WD21s acted like that when the door hinges were worn out. I could grab the door and wiggle it up and down on the play in the hinges.

If it's the actual sheet metal that's bent, I'd just open the door a little, put a rubber pad or carpet scrap or something on the floor jack, and then lift the back corner of the door until it lines up again. Might take a little trial and error to get it perfect. Obviously keep an eye on the door to make sure you're not deforming it. (A 2x4 or something under the door might help spread the load.)

I grabbed some hinges from the junk yard. Gonna install them and see what happens. This is what happened. I had the drivers door opened sitting under my canopy had it in neutral on level ground. E brake not pulled. Went to grab soda came back and the wind had rolled my truck back 2 feet. My door caught the canopy pole around where the armrest is and the pole stopped the car from rolling but pulled the door past the factory stopping pinot. Don't know really how far it pulled it.

• Like 1

I grabbed some hinges from the junk yard. Gonna install them and see what happens. This is what happened. I had the drivers door opened sitting under my canopy had it in neutral on level ground. E brake not pulled. Went to grab soda came back and the wind had rolled my truck back 2 feet. My door caught the canopy pole around where the armrest is and the pole stopped the car from rolling but pulled the door past the factory stopping pinot. Don't know really how far it pulled it.

Thanks a lot you guys for the help. Definitely gonna try these tactics.

Ooh, that bites! Very unlucky. This is why I always apply the handbrake and lay a 4x4 board under the tires whenever I'm working on it, could have been a lot worse if it rolled away while you were under it! Still sucks, hope you get it worked out, you're rigs are always in such great shape.

• Like 1

It was on almost completely level ground. Amazing how strong wind really is. What happened was I was down working on it and my wife hollered at me needing help to hang a picture. So I went got my hammer and my nails went up hung the picture came back down and the rest is history.

Ooh, that bites! Very unlucky. This is why I always apply the handbrake and lay a 4x4 board under the tires whenever I'm working on it, could have been a lot worse if it rolled away while you were under it! Still sucks, hope you get it worked out, you're rigs are always in such great shape.

Do you know what the theme is for TOTM?

Yikes! Yeah, that's not good. Hopefully it only bent the parts you can replace, but I would not be surprised if the door and pillar were both tweaked. I guess the question then is what stops the door ran into. Was it held just by the little stay thing that holds it open, or did it max out the hinges? If it was just the stay, the damage may be limited to where the stay mounts at the ends (though that sounds unlikely if the door won't shut right). If the hinges themselves got maxxed out, you may have some work to do straightening their mounts.

• Like 1

Do you know what the theme is for TOTM?

The deadline for March is already past (2 entries to vote on!), and April is water crossing (or any picture that involves water in any way).

• Like 1

So I don't look like a complete dumbass I had it in neutral so I could get the radio bezel off easier. Should have chalked the tires anyway. At least it didn't buckle the door. LOL

• Like 1

SAFETY 1ST BOYS & GIRLS, SAFETY 1ST!! It only took 1 of my cars falling off jackstands, for me to learn THAT lesson quick. Sufficed to say it was very unnerving opening the garge door the next morning to find THAT.

Just sayin....

• Like 1

Since the door was falling when I opened it. My Dad the old school mechanic figured maybe some shims on that bottom hinge will fix it. He put an 1/16 inch peace of metal and that fixed it.

951bf6ad70b285facaa07daecb44d98e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sweet! Glad that worked. I had to do a similar thing on my front door when I first got my truck, but it was a very minor adjustment; I had no idea there was enough adjustment in there to fix your issue.

Sweet! Glad that worked. I had to do a similar thing on my front door when I first got my truck, but it was a very minor adjustment; I had no idea there was enough adjustment in there to fix your issue.

The door was bent in my case. I love it now I don't have to Baby the driver side door

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

• Like 1