turbo

Guest pathmaker

Guest pathmaker

I am putting a turbo on my 98 Pathfinder wondering if any one else has done it. javascript:emoticon(':dance:')

Although it's been discussed, I don't think anyone here has completed a turbo mod. I'm all for it, but be prepared to fab up a whole lot of one-off pieces. If you do decide to jump into the project be sure to post your progress.

Good luck.

Edited by jj big shoe

Let us know how it goes..... I would love to do one...how about parts off a 300Z!? can any of those be modified to fit...I don't think it can be done here in Cali without the product being C.A.R.B approved or you can't register the car...but then again, how often does the DMV actually look at the car...and as long as the original smog equip is still on the car the smog check stations shouldn't care.

• 2 weeks later...
97SE, you need to quit smoking whatever you're currently puffing on.

:D ^^

The only reason a turbo wouldn't be worth 'it' would be due to the difficulty of re-obtaining a reliable engine. Going from N/A to turbocharged always causes issues, (be they electrical/ECU related, engine internal strength related, etc.) but if you could work those out, it would be well worth it. I've seen some 4wd 4runners with turbo supra motors, worked quite well for them B)

• 1 month later...

Big Johnson, you even say it yourself, "difficulty of re-obtaining a reliable engine. Going from N/A to turbocharged always causes issues, (be they electrical/ECU related, engine internal strength related, etc.)"

Come on, you guys know there's more to adding a turbo than just adding a turbo to an existing engine. Say what you will, all I'm saying is that our Pathys aren't remotely designed to accept turbos...not the engine, gearing, coolant, anything. Want more power, again, drop a diesel in it and call it a day.

Well, your post only mentioned the issue of gearing, as opposed to the more difficult to solve problems, so it seemed like that was your main concern about adding a turbo. Of course turbocharging a pathy will be difficult, especially stateside where there is a great dearth of aftermarket support, but I have seen pictures of several turbocharged Japanese Pathfinder (twin turbos, at that B) ) which seem to be perfectly functional. Granted, I do not know what difficulties/expenses they encountered, it could have taken years to get it running correctly, who knows?

Now, if we're talking engine swaps, I've always thought it would be the most cost efficient to drop in a supercharged 3.3 from a Frontier/Xterra. Add an underdrive pulley and some other basic performance mods, and I think the BHP would be in the 250+ range. Seems like this would be the most simple way to add a fair amount of power, and it is a far off dream of mine, but to each his own. While adding an aftermarket turbo to a pathy may not be "worth it" (depending on how you define worth...), someone may have the desire/money to make it happen, and I'd sure love to see it ;)

As much as I hate to get in this one , since i can't keep my hands off any car i own, I'm with you on that one Big Johnson! :aok:

I really don't want my standard 3.3 to blow (and it won't it only has 88K on it) if it did, it may very well be my delgith to drop the xterra/fronty engine in...

...'course computer and a couple of extra wires i'm sure!!!

As the old Muscle car addage goes "No Replacement for Displacement" Go with a swap to a Supercharged Frontier or X.....You can probably get them fairly inexpensive at a salvage yard.....

Here in Cali it's almost impossible to register or insure a vehicle after an engine swap.....I ran into that issue with my old 70 Chevelle....pulled the stock 307 and dropped in a Goodwrench 350/350...couldn't (legally) drive the car until all the DMV paperwork was completed...took 4 MONTHS! Only then would my insurance company add the car to my insurance.....

Dont' ask don't tell...I know!

Anyone ever put a '01+ engine in a pre-'01 Pathy...out of the box, they're making ~240hp.

I was thinking of the same thing... :huh: The VQ35 would probably fit since the bodies are the same. What about the VQ40s? 270HP..

I believe the supercharger only added about 10hp. Anyone ever put a '01+ engine in a pre-'01 Pathy...out of the box, they're making ~240hp.

Not exactly. HP for the 3.3 NA Frontiers was rated at 170. The S/C version was rated at 210 hp. So, +40. I think adding another 40 on top of that would be relatively simple, just by messing with the boost, ECU, and some other basic things. :D

My thinking behind the S/C 3.3 swap was that the engine is already almost identical to our current powerplant, so the issues caused by the transplant should be minimal. With a 3.5 swap, seeing as how it is an entirely different series of engine, it seems as though many more problems would arise, like wiring, fit, etc.

agreed,

i have watched many of these engines already go by on EBAY, for about $3500 plus shipping...i can't tell simply by looking at pics if they wouild fit at all....but a haynes manual should be of some help!!!

***this is a hint to anyone with that type of money!**** :secret:

I had my infiniti g20 turbo'ed. If there is an exhaust manifold that will fit everything else would be relatively easy. Fabricating the piping for intercooler and for the downpipe should be a piece of cake. It wasnt hard in the g20 and there is more room in a r50. As far as the computer goes greddy e-manage is a piggy back system. It works great and can easily be tuned. I seen about a 90% increase in hp/tq running just 6lbs of boost. A small turbo running 7lb or less would have great response and low end torque. Especially with 3.3 liters spinning the turbo. It would have nothing up top but who needs that in an suv.

On a side note if the sc xterra engine and the pathy engine are so close can the sc be fitted to the Pathfinder? Sorry for such a newb question?

I believe the supercharger only added about 10hp.  Anyone ever put a '01+ engine in a pre-'01 Pathy...out of the box, they're making ~240hp.

Not exactly. HP for the 3.3 NA Frontiers was rated at 170. The S/C version was rated at 210 hp. So, +40. I think adding another 40 on top of that would be relatively simple, just by messing with the boost, ECU, and some other basic things. :D

My mistake...but I believe the N/A Xterra was rated at 180HP. You could do a K&N, exhaust and a chip for less than $1K and probably get 60-75+hp...much cheaper than boosting and better payoff.

Edited by 97SE

It's not so much that we want more power to drag from stoplight to stoplight or to race at sportscar speeds.

Having more HP would have been really nice on my 2400-mile roadtrip to Utah last week. Some of those high-altitude grades in central NV and western UT forced me to downshift to 2nd gear to stay above 50mph! And even climbing slight grades (just 1 or 2 feet per second @60mph) at 6000 feet altitude, it would kick down out of overdrive. I got pretty poor gas mileage as a result.

Based on an article on nissanperformancemag.com in which hotter cams were put in a VG30 Pathfinder, I am strongly considering getting a set of JWT "S1" cams for my truck, then will follow that with an ECU reprogram at some point.

Replacing or going forced induction on the engine is just too much work.

I believe the supercharger only added about 10hp.  Anyone ever put a '01+ engine in a pre-'01 Pathy...out of the box, they're making ~240hp.

My mistake...but I believe the N/A Xterra was rated at 180HP. You could do a K&N, exhaust and a chip for less than $1K and probably get 60-75+hp...much cheaper than boosting and better payoff.

Yeah, I think they "added" 10 hp in the 03 or 04 model year for Fronties and Xterras. But 60-75 hp with just an intake, chip and exhaust? I think not. Figure intake to be 5 hp max, exhaust would be around 10-15 hp max, and a chip to tie it all together, another 20-25 max and the total comes to 45 hp additional. However, those figures are likely on the high side, actual numbers would be lower. I actually have an intake and free flowing muffler w/custom piping, and it probably only made about 10-15 hp extra combined (at the crank, not the wheels). Generally speaking, forced induction is the most cost effective (in terms of hp per dollar, or more likely, dollars per hp:D ) way to add some kick ;)

Based on an article on nissanperformancemag.com in which hotter cams were put in a VG30 Pathfinder, I am strongly considering getting a set of JWT "S1" cams for my truck, then will follow that with an ECU reprogram at some point.

I've been thinking about cams for some time now. Seems like the performance increase is substantial, and I remember someone posting on AC a while ago raving about the increase. However, he also reported a substantial mpg loss. Of course, at the stage your pathy is in, I suppose mileage isn't exactly a main concern :D . Installation costs would be another thing to consider. I really have no idea how much a shop would charge for something like this, but I'd wager that it wouldn't be cheap. Oh well, go tto save some money before spending any more :rolleyes:

I've got a SC Xterra motor sitting in my yard. I'm going for it. I have a 97 2wd and I don't plan on doing any offroading in that, so I'm gonna make it a pavement pounder. I was considering a swap to an american v8, but I came across this motor and figured it would be a hell of a challenge. Money is tight, and I plan on doing as much as I can in my budget to the motor while it's out b4 the swap, so it's gonna be a while.