turbo

Guest pathmaker

60-75 hp with just an intake, chip and exhaust?  I think not.  Figure intake to be 5 hp max, exhaust would be around 10-15 hp max, and a chip to tie it all together, another 20-25 max  and the total comes to 45 hp additional.  However, those figures are likely on the high side, actual numbers would be lower.  I actually have an intake and free flowing muffler w/custom piping, and it probably only made about 10-15 hp extra combined (at the crank, not the wheels).  Generally speaking, forced induction is the most cost effective (in terms of hp per dollar, or more likely, dollars per hp:D ) way to add some kick ;)

Ditto on the HP numbers, and nope on the cost effectiveness. A wet nitrous kit is the cheapest way to increase HP reliably. :) ...but forced induction is a nice, renewable, reliable setup that will effectively add power without requiring refills on a tank of compressed gas...

88 is right. put anything on the bottle to get results...longevity is in the hands of the user though so do not get addicted. -alcohol-

there are many mags out there (yes, i am another Honda loser) that have stock honda civvies with a fresh intake, header, exhaust that are only gaining like 30hp and 20ft/lb and spent well into the $1000 range getting just that little bit. I have performed this action on my 1988 rex ($300 ICEMAN intake, $400 HASPORT header, $650 RS*R header-back exhaust), the ole' butt dyno says i probably did gain 35hp...but danm i spent some loot! :furious:

...CAMS on the other hand, always produce, and as far as i can tell JWT is no slouch for quality. Thought of the same option after i feard tuning the X's S/C engine, but for the cash invested I could get into the Infinity QX4 for minimal payment change ('01+ of course to get at that 3.5). :aok:

Edited by 98silverpathy

I shot an email to Lee of L&P Performance a while ago asking about the SC on his Pathy. He said he might put together a kit for $400-$500 minus the Eaton M90 SC which can be found on ebay for a couple c-notes.

If y'all really want to go FI, maybe he would find the time to make the kits if enough people bug him about it or pre-order a few.

L&P website

L&P's Pathfinder has TBI. Not only would we have to convince him that it was worth the trouble to put a kit together, we would also have to convince him to do it on a newer Pathfinder. Unless you want to go backwards and retrofit an older fuel system to your vehicle.

The M-90s intake port is on the right side of the engine which would require additional re-plumbing. Since the M-62 has been designed to bolt to the VG33 equipped with the correct manifolds, I'm betting it is the easier route.

oh, I see. Guess he just plumbed it on the right. I still say the M-62 would be easier. If you get the lower intake off a SC Xterra or Frontier, that's one less thing to fab and the pulleys wouldn't have to be rigged either. Maybe on an older TBI intake, the M-90 would be easier, but not on the MPI intake, and this is the 96+ forum, so I assume that's what most people reading in have.

• 2 weeks later...