After market temperature gauge

Texasledfarmer

Don't see why not, though it's probably a similar amount of work vs fixing the stock one. The sender for the gauge in the dash is on the upper coolant neck. There are two sensors there, one with a yellow two-wire plug and one with a single connection, the single one's for the stock gauge. If your mechanical one will screw into the same hole (or you can find/make an adapter), that might be the easiest place to tap in.

• Like 1

Well that's the problem right there! The sensor is there but the wire had been cut by the previous owner. For what reason, your guess is as good as mine. SO obviously the gauge isn't working. Now I tried to located the severed wire that runs to the dash but I've had no luck. So I've got to remove the cluster to get to back of the gauge... how the hell does it go wired? Also, if the dash is fried for some reason, can I use the O.E sending unit with an aftermarket temp gauge?

Likely not unless you can find a gauge that works off the same resistance values. It is possible but I've never looked.

The wire for your stock gauge should be in the harness that runs right there, may have to cut the tape and loom off but I bet it is in there somewhere. I will look at mine later and let you know the colour if you want.

The '95 service manual says the wire's yellow with a red stripe. That same wire on my '93 is brown with a red stripe, so that's odd. It's got a sort of rubber sheath around it almost to the plug (for protection I guess) and the stock end is a little plastic connector with some kind of rubber growth on it--a spade terminal would do the job without issue. +1 on digging into the harness, it should still be in there even if somebody lopped off the end for some reason.

keep in mind that the early Nissan trucks used a voltage regulator on the rear of the gauge cluster that controlled the temp and fuel gauges, if you happen to have problems with the fuel gauge too It may be the regulator.

Oddly enough...my gauges have issues. Temp and fuel are dead or barley move and last night I replaced my turn signal switch cuz my headlights were spazzing out. I hadn't been using my Pathfinder at night because of this so I just noticed that my dash lights don't work. Not a good thing when you can't tell how fast your going. So the regulator is starting to sound like the true culprit of my gauge woes. So now here's new set of questions...

HOW MUCH?

WHERE CAN I GET IT?

IS IT A PAIN IN TO INSTALL?

If I was going to buy a temp gauge (with the adapter for the upper hose/sensor) I'd be looking at about $100. If the regulator is around the same price range I'd rather get the regulator.

The regulator's cheaper than that. You just buy an 8v regulator IC (dirt cheap) and wire it into the place of the stock regulator. Here's a discussion of the regulator and here's a guy showing how to mount a generic IC in the dash of a Pulsar or something. There's probably a dedicated how-to for doing this on a D21 or WD21 dash if you look around enough.

I don't go on that forum much since selling my Sentra but I'm on or have been on most of the Nissan Forums. I only have 1266 posts on that forum, 6473 on Infamous, and 194 on NICO , LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy
  • Like 1

I did the new voltage regulator install on mine, if you know how to solder the job is easy as can be. That'll fix the temp and fuel gauge. As for the dash lights not working, you probably just have a dead bulb or a loose ground screw behind the cluster, which is another cheap fix.

Swapping the gauge cluster may be illegal! The odometer readings when titling the vehicle are usually taken, so beware of that.

I found plenty Aftermarket regulators... cheap! For the $2.00 it's more than worth a shot.

Now how do I know which wire is the

Ignition, Ground and 8 volt output on the aftermarket?

And does anybody know the colors on the OE module so I don't mix the Ignition wire and the 8 volt output?

moQtx-yJLP1XNmNXm8TCliA.jpg

Well I fixed some of the issues. The dash lights are up and running and my dimmer works as well. Apparently those issues were attributed to the turn signal switch being bad. So now my dash is all lit up but still no functioning temp gauge. I'll install the regulator this weekend.