95 Pathfinder V6 with California emissions

MarlinMike

I just bought a clean 95 Pathfinder originally from California. This is going to be a strictly off road vehicle so I am changing the exhaust and a few other things. Does anybody know what the difference in emissions equipment from California and non California engines for this year Pathfinder. Thanks for any info.

According to the FSM (where you can find this info), just the EGR Temp Sensor was CA specific; however I also thought the EGRC-BPT valve was as well although the FSM does not read that way (maybe it was CA only in < 94 models and then became Fed standard). I am not sure if your CA ECU will CEL if you remove/disable temp sensor - something to keep in mind.

In any case, if it is for off-road use only, why not just strip both CA and Fed equipment? AFAIK, only the cat converter is required both on and off road, but IANAL..

I did a little digging in the manual a while back trying to figure out the EGR system, and if I'm remembering right, the California model will throw a CEL if the smog gear's not hooked up, which the federal won't. If the headers you're looking at have an EGR bung, and are advertised for '90-95 Pathfinders, I would expect the tube to the EGR valve to bolt right in. The EGR valve itself changed slightly to accommodate the BPT but the pipe to the manifold should be exactly the same.

Yep, the pipe is the same. The ECU is different. Canada and CA models are similar, I believe. The only difference with the cats, etc. is that it would have the CARB compliant stamp on it most likely. I'm not an expert by any means, just what I have learned over the years. Both my 94 and 95 canadian models have the egr temp sensor, but only the 95 has the BPT for the egr valve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. If I eliminate all the fed & Cal emissions how would I do it and would the engine run right? As far as a check engine light I could care less because black electrical tape works wonders.

You would need to keep the cat and 02 sensors. The engine uses the O2 to help adjust fuel trim.

EGR can go away, it is emissions only, and dumps exhaust gas back into your intake. Sure there is a little unburned fuel in there, but there is a lot more soot and things that are not good for the engine or performance.

PCV needs to stay in some form. Going to the intake is strictly to prevent the vapors from going to atmosphere, and is environmental only. However, putting oil vapor in your intake isn't great, oil doesn't burn as easily as gas, and look inside your intake sometime. Between the oil vapor and exhaust gases, the intake of 90's cars are filthy. You need PCV but can vent to atmosphere. You would need to come up with some way to put PCV valves in the top of each valve cover.

EVAP system captures the fumes from the gas tank. It is as unnecessary as those silly gas cans we have to use now, but it doesn't hurt anything on the engine or performance, so might as well leave it.

I think I covered everything. The only one that should throw a code is egr.

Pretty much what Citron said.

EVAP you might want to delete if you want to free up engine bay space. Where the charcoal canister is located may be a good spot for a dual battery setup; however you still need to vent the tank fumes. If I were going to do this, I would probably unplug the EVAP line from the gas tank end and plug it with a small hose connected to a small filter and tuck it up under the chassis somewhere. Note, you might smell gas, especially on hot days as you approach your car. Probably wouldn't recommend this if you garage your car.

Personally, I would keep the PCV system but would modify with a catch can between the PCV valve and rear pass. side valve cover breather. This keeps the junk out of the intake, but does require you to empty them on occasion. If you just want to delete it, you could cap the PCV side on the intake manifold, then cap the front breather port (the front of both valve covers are connected to a Y-pipe which connects to the intake boot), then route the rear pass side valve cover using 5/8" PCV/EEC rated hose to a small breather filter. Ideally, locate the filter somewhere you don't mind getting dirty as blowby (oil + gas) will be spewing out of it. Alternatively you can attach breathers to both ends instead of capping, but likely not necessary on our cars.

EGR is only active at part throttle, basically cruising speeds. Under load it shuts off, shuts off at idle. Not worth the work to remove the tubes. Unhook and plug the vacuum line to the valve if you feel like you'll get any horses out of bypassing it.

Pcv keeps your engine clean. Leave it alone. Replace the valve occasionally. Putting breathers on it just makes a mess. Catch can isn't a bad idea though, especially on worn engines with a lot of blow by.

If the equipment functions properly, you won't gain anything by removing or modifying it.

• Like 1

I would leave the evap and PCV. They don't hurt performance at all and smelling gas would be annoying. I would put a catch can on the PCV system if blow-by is an issue. EGR, I left mine alone as it works fine and to be honest I would focus on more offroad performance mods. :D

Do what you want with the cat converter, a purely offroad (trailered) rig it may be better to delete it as they can cause grass fires. But the o2 sensor you need for the motor to run properly. Without it, the oil will dilute with fuel and that will kill the rings/walls quickly.

• Like 1