Gspeed151 1997 QX4 build

Gspeed151

Putting it back together has been tough in the heat but all in all I am excited to get back out exploring soon, I got a new spare tire mounted on the rear, hitchgate, new (used) rear bumper, factory trailer hitch, high lift jack mounted, trasharoo, exhaust, rear lights mounted, cb antenna, Seahawks laser cut plate, LED license plate lights that fit into the bolt holes and air lift overload bags. I also removed the running boards that were driving me crazy and that looked hideous, and here is what it looks like now after 2 weekends of none stop work.

36440751886_5291bf22a9_c.jpg2017-08-10_12-03-06 by gspeed151, on Flickr

36440760026_996d828d73_c.jpg2017-08-10_12-03-43 by gspeed151, on Flickr

36349162781_ed809efdbe_c.jpg2017-08-10_12-04-10 by gspeed151, on Flickr

The end result of a lot of work...and more to come.

36349177021_ecf19ef836_h.jpg2017-08-10_12-04-44 by gspeed151, on Flickr

• Like 2

How's the blind spot with that tire carrier?

I have only been around the block a few times but it doesn't seem to be an issue. I have my reverse camera mounted to the license plate so now I have to compensate for the tire/ license plate relocate being off center that is what I am trying to learn so I don't back into anything.

• Like 1

How are you liking the Cooper tires? I'm stuck (again) between those and the Falken Wildpeak A/TW3s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was in between those too, I have had no issues with these and they have performed great on and off road, they are quiet and comfortable. I would definitely suggest them for my overlander use they seem to be perfect for my application.

I was in between those too, I have had no issues with these and they have performed great on and off road, they are quiet and comfortable. I would definitely suggest them for my overlander use they seem to be perfect for my application.

How do they do in sand and mud? Not thick sticky mud more watered down like near a flooded fire ditch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Never been in sand and I have not had an issue in mud, I only have about 2000 miles on them tho and mostly high way and dusty FS roads so I dont have a lot of experience yet in those conditions.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I've been running the Pep Boys equivalent of the A/T3 for 2 years come Sept, 18K on them rotated among 5 tires. I've been very pleased. They've seen just about everything except heavy/deep snow (have seen some nasty slush conditions while towing a trailer, though). Excellent on and off road manners. Haven't measured remaining tread, but I can hardly tell there's any wear just by looking at them.

Looks good Brian! What a score on that hitchgate. I'll be interested to see that in person & how well it works. I'm jealous of your access to those painting facilities as well. BTW, where did you get those rear links from when you did your suspension?

(Essentially no forward progress for me, I don't think I'll have time to get to it until October)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the RTT, couldn't you just mount it right to the roof rails. I did that with my basket & it's been good for over a decade-though an RTT is admittedly a bigger deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good Brian! What a score on that hitchgate. I'll be interested to see that in person & how well it works. I'm jealous of your access to those painting facilities as well. BTW, where did you get those rear links from when you did your suspension?

(Essentially no forward progress for me, I don't think I'll have time to get to it until October)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the RTT, couldn't you just mount it right to the roof rails. I did that with my basket & it's been good for over a decade-though an RTT is admittedly a bigger deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My buddy let me use his prep booth for the afternoon which was a sweatbox but I got it done but I am not going to quit my day job to be a painter it works I guess, not a great job. I did score the HitchGate it was perfect timing I was gonna go with a new HitchGate Solo but the setup would have been well over $1000, although my setup is quite heavy and I have banged it a few times due to the lower departure angle but it's not a huge deal and I am quite happy with the usability and look.

The rear links are from 1Aauto.com they are just the cheap Chinese knock offs but I had them painted a nice grey when I did the suspension.

I would highly advise against mounting a RTT to anything but a Thule or Yakima or like setup or I am designing a custom platform rack myself for lighting, awning and accessories that is a lower profile then my current Thule set up. Any stock rails will not hold the static (sitting) or dynamic (moving) weight of a RTT and you put yourself at risk of have it damage your car or hurt somebody if it breaks loose.

• Like 1