Anybody ever fixed this truck that has separated from the car from rust it was a recall previous owner never fixed

Petercan1020

I purchased this car about a month ago to Nissan Pathfinder 2002 just realized that my strut up touching my master cylinder has anybody ever had this fixed and if so how much did it cost what did they have to do I can send pictures to anybody

I would take it to ur local Nissan dealer & ask them about it. A Recall is a recall. I had them check mine bc of a recall I became aware of-mine were fine, so it seemed and they just cleaned the area up and repainted it in those two spots. Another example of "Inherent Design Flaw". Back in the day, my Datsun 510, like 10's of thousands of others, had front fenders that rusted out along the top (hood) edge but back then there was no such thing as a "Recall", owners would just go out and buy 2 aftermarket fenders and hope they could get the old ones off w/o horrifying the adjacent, inner fender. You sir, have an option we didn't have back in the early 80's. Do ur recall research (so you don't look like a complete nob), then take it to them. Now, as a comsumer, you have the power of law and consumer protection behind you.

I'll definitely take a ride over to Nissan I looked up the recall it says that they only covered up to so many years this is a 2002 200,000 miles on it but everything else perfect on the truck for the most part I just realize that that was the cause of all my problems pushing up on my master cylinder I thought I had to change that which I do if this gets fixed because my brakes were all screwed up my ball joints are bad I was just about to repair them but I realize the damage so before I do anything I have all the parts I'll go talk to Nissan

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/30159-nissan-to-recall-195000-pathfinder-qx4-suvs/?p=571605

Be prepared: If you take it to Nissan and they deem it unsafe to drive (which they will) you won't be able to drive it away. They will buy it back from you based on whatever value algorithm they are using now for car values.

Here's the link to the recall... http://www.4shared.com/office/EVLQulUL/RCRIT-11V244-1111.html

*** Click on view document, then on the print icon (save as a pdf) *** This will be alot easier than trying to find the REAL download button... ***

you could technically do the repair yourself..

Edited by fleurys

How can I do the repair myself is there anyway I can give you my number or my email so I could possibly send you some pictures get some idea how to fix this

Everything is pretty much in the document I posted... If you follow the procedures, you will be able to see if nissan would declare this unrepairable or not... I guess if you can find that it is repairable, then stop there, rebolt everything and go to your nearest nissan dealer... You'll get the repair for free...

Thanks I'll check it out soon as I get home it's separated like 4 inches I could see right through to my engine nothing's on voltage yet and for all the parts to do my ball joints and bearings and brakes oh I saw that I decided to come on this site see what my Alternatives would be I'll keep you posted thank you so much

From what I've heard, Nissan's "fix" involves gluing patch panels over the rust holes. You might check with a body shop, IIRC one guy had his aligned and welded up that way. I suspect a NY body shop would know what to do with a rusted-out strut tower.

Thanks I'll check it out soon as I get home it's separated like 4 inches I could see right through to my engine nothing's on voltage yet and for all the parts to do my ball joints and bearings and brakes oh I saw that I decided to come on this site see what my Alternatives would be I'll keep you posted thank you so much

Ho.... This is way past the fixable by nissan... I can assure you... 4" !! Jesus!..

At that point, I would try to bring it back to the seller.... if not, you could , like slatibartfast said and ask a bodyshop to weld a new strut tower...

You can buy it here : http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-parts/2002/nissan/pathfinder/le-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/structural-components-and-rails-scat

It's called the Apron assembly I believe

The separation is on the inside of the strut like I said it's like a 4-inch split hole through the body and the strut mount the top of it in the engine compartment touching my master cylinder very buddy wants to see what I'm talking about I can send you pictures just sent me an email address and I'll send you the pictures and show you what I'm talking about I tried that for share somebody tried sending me a document and it came back with viruses on my phone so I'm trying to stay away from that

I offered to post the images for Petercan. I was honestly just really curious to see them since my pathfinder has a small amount of rust starting near there.

20170128_220508_zpsbb6kfv2e.jpg

20170128_220459_zpsaamhdm8z.jpg

So I guess I'll let the conversation go on from here... Looks pretty bad

:blink: That's gone way beyond a rust hole. The piece Fleurys linked to is probably your best bet, if you can afford to have it installed. Given what a strut tower does, and how important it is that it keeps doing that, I don't recommend half-assing this.

Here's the official Nissan repair, if you want to see what that looks like.

Just so everybody knows I went to a welder in a body shop I fixed it to me for $350 now I can take it into Nissan and get the rest of the repairs done they have to replace my steering column throw brace up on both sides and fix a couple of the little things and I think I'm getting free tire at it according to a friend of mine

• Like 2

By the way the plate that the guy welded in there actually bolt it in there and then welded other pieces is a lot stronger than what Nissan uses Nissan's might be a little neater but what my guy that did is a lot stronger

One last thing if anybody goes through this highest price I got quoted from a welder what's $650 I had a guy in a body shop do it to 300 just so everybody has an idea of what to pay I appreciate everybody's help I'll keep you posted on what Nissan says

• Like 2