Might drive my 04 Pathy LE from NJ fo Miami rountrip, any tips?

Hello been a while. I bought my white pathy LE in September 2014 with just 50k miles on it even!! For 8,500 dollars.

Haven't had any issues besides exhaust, breaks are due for a change soon. No problems besides squeaks when it's wet for some reason and my spare fire dangles loose.

Any tips for this long drive? My 2014 CRv would be better for this trip but won't be available that week due to it being used for my job. That gets 26 mpg and cruises at 80 mph no problem

Anyway, what tire pressure is ideal for the 2,800 mile trip or so? Also any other tips to max out my mileage?

For some reAson I'm only getting 14-17 mpg and I'm currently at 87 k miles

will it make it? Should I be worried about the pathy holding up for that drive? Can I somehow squeeZe out 18mpg? Or more?

Also my pathy doesn't really like going faster then 70-80 mph I can tell she is very uncomfortable cruising at speeds higher then 80-90 especially for distance. The CRv can cruise at 90 at 2krpm, pathy goes around 3200 rpm at 80 mph. Then again the pathy is a beast vehicle used in war zones.

Any tips family?

First, where can you legally go 80-90 mph? Whatever the recommended tire pressure is on the sticker on the door jamb would be good.

I would give it a thorough once over. Preform a lube oil filter service. Check all the fluids. If you aren't comfortable doing that, then take it to a reputable mechanic and ask them to do an inspection. It should make it no problem. And if you do have problems, it's not like you are in the middle of nowhere on the east coast. As for mileage, if you haven't done a tune up in the last 50000 miles, doing one wouldn't hurt.

Run minimum 32psi on your tires, depending on their size and type (load range). [Ex: I run 42psi Front /38psi Rear on my load-range E BFG MT tires.]

Replace air filter, change the oil, check spark plugs.

Drive no faster than 70. Use cruise control. Avoid fast starts and sudden stops. Anticipate road conditions and coast (release accelerator) as long as possible before braking.

I did similar trip last year from NYC to Florida on my 02 Pathy. One experience I want to share - my windshield class crack under the intense Florida sun. The 15 years old car was never our of Northeast; I guess it can't handle the heat.

But you are driving it there in winter - shouldn't be a problem for you. Still, you might want to get a reflective windshield cover - so that not to heat up the car so much under the sun.

just my $.02.

Aside from the tire pressure, front manual hubs and vehicle maintenance like everyone has mentioned Id suggest drafting semi trucks. These vehicles arent very aerodynamic and drafting big rigs made a huge difference on the 2000 mile trips i was taking between San Francisco and Seattle. But if you want to do 80-90pmh thats out of the question.

I'm on my third Pathfinder My 92 rotted out. My 02 crashed and i boight another i put 5000 miles on mins this month it does suck gas but never fails me. If you need to do any work before you go change your plugs and coil packs and change three sensors your crank position sensor and cam position sensors two of them other than that they burn oil so check it every thousand miles mine Burns bad Accord every 500 to 600 I just got the parts which cost me $12 and will take up about 30 minutes my time maybe even less it's the oil cooler seals

By the way, on my other Pathfinder the O2 that I crashed I put 50,000 miles on it in 6 months and besides a set of tires oil changes 1 U joint and my rear trailing arms even ran like a charm after the accident but I junked it. When I bought it it was a salvage title I buy these cars strictly to put miles on them because I trust them just maintain it and this thing will never fail you

I took mine on an 8 hour trip with belts that had 150k miles on them, not knowing the condition of my spark plugs, and a front driveshaft that needs new u-joints and balanced. I had 0 issues. I've since then changed the belts and pulleys because the bearings in them were dust. I would check them and possibly replace them since they are relatively cheap and easy to do. The pulleys are about $30-$40 a piece on Amazon, Advance or Auto Zone has them for around $50 I believe.

So far sounds good guys. I love my pathfinder. Before this one I had a 98 all black with over 240k miles on it. Barely had issues, was rusted up

The ass tho and looked like crap but I swear it was even more bad ass then my 04 which has more power yet the 98 felt stronger and smoother.

Keep it coming family , I love these vehicles!! They have serious off road ability even stock and reliability as my 98 proved to me, just never drove so far in one befofe always used a honda for road trips

Besides the putrid gas mileage I love this car

One negative about the 04 LE is the side airbags create a bit of a blind spot, the 98 had amazing sight all around but not a big issue .

My mechanic says I need new routers with breaks but I think I just need break pads, routers came new when I bought it at 50k miles.

I had cheap chinese tires put on at 70k and they are already wearing a bit, maybe I'll invest in fresh rubber for the trip but id rather not. Just not a fan of these Tires, will get a rotation with my next oil change (due for one) and then make a decision on the breaks.

Car could also use a nice detail, my glacier white looks off white now.

Also will be taking this ride in the summer not now.

Just drive the damn thing. It's a pathfinder. It'll make it.

We gave you all the advice there is. You own the single most uncustomizable SUV performance wise ever built unless you make more money than anybody that drove a Nissan makes.

• Like 2

You own the single most uncustomizable SUV performance wise ever built unless you make more money than anybody that drove a Nissan makes.

I think the Isuzu Rodeo might have the R50 beat in that category. :)

• Like 1

First, where can you legally go 80-90 mph? Whatever the recommended tire pressure is on the sticker on the door jamb would be good.

Texas has 85 mph speed limits. Montana has 80. I was there in September. My wd21 was revving about 3500 but it ran that all day no issues.

http://www.ghsa.org/state-laws/issues/Speeding-and-Aggressive-Driving

Edited by adamzan

Just drive the damn thing. It's a pathfinder. It'll make it.

We gave you all the advice there is. You own the single most uncustomizable SUV performance wise ever built unless you make more money than anybody that drove a Nissan makes.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did Montreal to Fort Lauderdale and Fort Lauderdale to Key West during the holidays and the pathy was very reliable. I had one problem during my trip to Key West, it was hot as hell and i lost some power like if the transmission was not transfering the energy to the wheels, idk why. I just restarted the engine and the problem was resolve . Just make sure your alignment is good so your tires will last longer (i made the mistake).