Home built recovery anchor

mws

Since I plan to do some exploring out in the desert and hate getting stranded and eaten by vultures, I am spending my idle hours planning how to be prepared.

What to do when stuck and there is no one else with me to pull me out? Well, I picked up my dad's 35 year old Hi-Lift and some new chains and winch kit and lots of rope and tree saver strap and recovery strap and shackles and....

But what if there are no trees? Like in most of the desert? What to pull against?

I've heard about digging a pit and burying the spare with the pull rig attached to it. But frankly, that sounds like work!

I have also seen the Pull-Pal. Brilliant! And an excellent solution for snow and sand! (www.pullpal.com) Not cheap, but it is a brilliant idea.

But, it does take up room. Room where I could store an extra 12 pack of barley pop to enjoy around the campfire.

While driving this weekend, I came up with a double whammy idea....

The stock bumpers on my '87 are not very robust and I'm not sure if they would stand up to the Hi-Lift.

Soooo....

How about making my own anchor, similar to the Pull-Pal. But make the main bars ALSO serve as a rear bumper? Picture a replacement bumper made out of 3 sections of square tubing, one above the other. Two are full width. One is approx 2.5" inside square, one is 2.5" outside and slips inside the other. The third piece of the "bumper" is only about 2' long and becomes the upright that attaches the plow blade to the long arm. When the anchor is needed, the three pieces are unbolted from the bumper brackets, slipped and bolted together to make an 8' long bar with shackle on one end, and then a bracket bolts to the other end to hold the upright that holds the plow blade. The plow blade and brackets would normally be stored inside the truck. I am also envisioning other forms of attachments for hooking under/over large rocks. It would take a few minutes to unbolt from bumper brackets and bolt together, but still much faster (and less work) than burying the spare tire!

What do you all think?

I will start doing some analysis to size materials and fasteners. I'm thinking I will design it to withstand 10,000 lb loads.

If only I had your will to make things pssd

I got a Smitty Built double tube bumper from my friend (used to own a 86.5 HB i think) for 40 bucks which I thought was a steal. The thing didnt fit so Im thinkin of doin a little handy work and getting it to fit BUT its kinda hard with out ANY of the nessesary tools haha.

Good luck bud

Rami

Sounds like an interesting concept. Some "Paint" quickies would give us a better idea as to what you've got going there. I can kind of see it in my head, but some sketches would be nice. No reason to me why it wouldn't work. But if it doesn't, it might head you in the right direction to something that does. :aok:

remind me to call Patent Office... :secret:

I don't know the pull-pal but will check it out soon... Like HWT, I sort of 'see' what you mean, but need picts and to investigate. I would suggest rating it at a minimum of 10K/lb... the weight multiplies quickly when stuck, and if you are counting on solo-survival, you don't want to take the chance. On the other hand, I have spent a month in Baja Ca with only a tool box,shovel, some cable, a come-along, tire plug kit, bicycle pump, 1 buddy, and a LOT of water :) Did just fine, never had a problem I couldn't get out of without cursing and sweat... :P If you really want to deal with issues, have a fire extinguisher, medical kit, water and milar emergency tarps... The list goes on, but those are my first choices for desert exploration...

B

i have used one for my 77 ford 4X4 that was stuck in the sandy beach area and it was amazing. the harder my winch pulled the better it dug in. really made it fun to dig out. worth the money if you have it, i tried making my own but i didn't have the original to use so mine didn't have the balance right and never worked as good.

• 8 months later...

MWS-

I understand your concern. I got in a very dicey situation on one of my first field surveys, that could have been eliminated by a device like you describe. If you have built one already, I am curious about how it turned out.

I roll with some retired climbing hardware (paint it red if you do this, to keep it from coming out of retirement) of various sizes in my recovery kit for use in rocky areas. Admittedly, my a$$ puckered each time I have used them for this, but they are an effective tool. Kept me from walking more than once. I guess it all depends on how stuck you are.

Sounds like a good idea to me -- and would love to see it come to fruition. Particularly if it can be bumper mounted like that and possibly cheaper than a pull pall. :cool2:

It would be VERY useful, seeing how the desert is SUCH a friendly place and all. :blink:

Edited by Harbinger

friendly. Oh yes. All the rocks are razors, all the plants are evil. all the animals are venomous. people leave everything they don't want there, then shoot it. Plus you can both cook your brains and freeze your a$$ within an hour.

But I am still convinced that you really haven't lived till you have taken a $#!+ in the desert in the pouring rain.

LOL, I've spent 2 months camping and snorkeling in Baja... It's not THAT bad !!! Water, vehicle and weapon will see you through most anything !! :D You can just never afford to make any real mistakes... ;) I miss it though and due for another trip !!

B

I admire your enthusiasm... Let us know how it works out, but you must remember that it has to be properly built. Pullpal charges what they charge becasue what they sell is well engineered and tested product. You don't want stuff to snap under load and start flying at subsonic speeds towards you.

Wow! I likey, mr claw! I am partial to the angle iron version...

I have not gone through with building my homemade pull pal yet - as I have had other vehicles join me on all the outings to date.

No need, no build. But it will happen eventually.

And the "ladder" part would make a great rear bumper if properly designed, no?

And a "paddle" bolted onto one (or more) of the spikes would be nice in the sand/mud/snow, no?

The idea evolves....

I admire your enthusiasm... Let us know how it works out, but you must remember that it has to be properly built. Pullpal charges what they charge becasue what they sell is well engineered and tested product. You don't want stuff to snap under load and start flying at subsonic speeds towards you.

And you are VERY RIGHT.

Recovery equipment can become a serious health hazard if not designed, built, or used right.

I WILL be applying some serious analysis to it before using. Sometimes I'm so glad I spent 6 years in engineering school! It only cost me, what, $65K? And by using what I learned for this project, I can save another 2 or 3 hundred! WOOT!

And the "ladder" part would make a great rear bumper if properly designed, no?

And a "paddle" bolted onto one (or more) of the spikes would be nice in the sand/mud/snow, no?

MWS I've been thinkin about that same thing this evening. and if the ladder is deep enough, you could easily fab up a bench that slides into the ladder. I always wanted a tailgate to chill on...

Edited by Crazy Geologist