question about torsion lift

headpeace

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I need to replace the stock adjustable shocks with longer ones if I susp lift it?

Or can I wait to do it? What should be the issues of waiting?

if your doin the JGC/torsion bar lift 88 says its not necessary @ damagedreality.com I think under tech link (somethin likethat), otherwise I dont know but some of these other guys will, good luck and send some pix of the finished job -alcohol- -alcohol-

hey headpeace- you can reindex your torsion bars to get more lift. im assuming that yous t-bars are saging alot cuz i did a t-bar lift in the front to level out the truck, but i went to far and i got like 2'' out of it, and i still have about and inch with the bumpstops.

the reindex should help give you the lift that you want. search for it here or on 88's site. i read through how to do it and it isnt that hard.

hey blackpath, if I do reindex, will I get more lift without getting so close to the bumpstop, cuz at 1" I was at most 0.5" from the bump stop,and thats as close as I want to get. also have you seen any premature wear (cv joints, BJ's, tie rod ends)since u lifted to 2"?

i dont know i didnt reindex,

but yea that is the general idea.

i havent noticed anything, if i wasnt gettign tires soon i would have gotten an alingment becasue he drivers side tire is turned out, resting more on the outside tread rather than in the middle.

right now my front end is higher than the rear. it was about an inch higher before i took the tire carrier off.

do you have 31s? my front(bottom of flare) is 32.5'' off the ground(garage floor)

i just looked at you stock pics kinda hard to read but i think its at 32'', thats what mine is at now like 32.5''

i bought mine off of an older couple, maybe they had it lowered???

headpeace is that what it was at? 32'' for stock?

can anyone else confirm the stock ride heights

sorry for the thread hyjack...

darn now i have to do a reindex...oh well should be fun

Edited by blackpath94

my rear was 33 the front wAS 32, I got the front up to 33 but only had 0.5" at most to the UCA bumpstop, but yeh Iwas originally at 32 on the front so your 0.5 higher than I am, good thing, that means u got less to go, try it without the reindex first, see how much u can get out of crankin the t bar

oh yeah, I do have 31's

Edited by headpeace

That's what I'm gonna do, I've already cranked the torsion bars a little bit (1"1/2), but tomorrow I'll reindex them to gain more lift instead of cranking too much. Also me and a guy of a susp shop will search for some coils that could give the same amount of lift you achieve with JGC coils, since these coils aren't so easy to find around here as in USA. Last week I've found a pair of them in a junkyard, but they asked about US$ 300 for the pair (new ones range from US$ 400 to 600)... Importing from AC or Calmini will cost me US$ 250-300, so if I do not find a compatible coil for the lift I'll buy Calmini. My rear coils aren't sagged, but I wanna lift the truck to put bigger tires.

COOL, LET ME Know what happwns/how it goes

yea ill do that, ill do the t-bar crank tomarrow when i get home, take the measerments, then ill pm you with the info.

after ive thought about it ill probally get the same amount of lift you did.

My tires aren't 31", they're 255/75R15, so I guess adding about 1/2 an inch if they were 31". So for comparisions I'll post my measurements with +1/2" as if my tires were 31". ;)

I've just put some Ford Maverick (not the V8) front coils in the rear. Now it is 34" from the ground. With stock coils, they were at 32" from the ground (I guess the rear coils are not so sagged). I was thinking I could use a Maverick V8 coil (don't know if it will fit) but based on your informations of acheved lift maybe 34" is good enough.

The front were at 29" when I bought the Pathfinder, then about 6 months ago I cranked the t-bars so it rised to 30.5". Yesterday after replacing the rear stock coils I cranked a bit more, so now the front stays at 31". It is a little "nose down" :wacko:

I'll try to reindex the torsion bars to achieve more lift, I expect at least 1"...

Edited by flnl

The stock shocks in front will be fine, but the rear shocks will be near the limit of their travel, so longer rear shocks would be beneficial but not altogether necessary. It's pretty hard to damage shocks by overextending them.

I'd send you some cheap springs if I could, flnl, but I think the shipping plus the taxes on your end would be a lot. I don't know...feel free to send me your info if you want me to check. I have a FedEx business account I can use to estimate costs with.

hey 88 or anyone else, u guys keep talkin about superlift UCA's but when I search their site all I can find is hardbody pickup applications, i that what everyone is using or am I missing something, which UCA from superlift will work with my 93?

I'd send you some cheap springs if I could, flnl, but I think the shipping plus the taxes on your end would be a lot. I don't know...feel free to send me your info if you want me to check. I have a FedEx business account I can use to estimate costs with.

Yeah, that's the only time I'd like to own a Jeep, Land Rover or Toyota... it's much easier (and cheaper) to find parts for them here around... I've just received a quotation from a guy who imports parts from Calmini and others, they have a store in Florida and have some workers here in Brazil. Compare the prices (first is Calmini's site, second is final price with all taxes, shipped to Brazil and left "at my door" -well, not exactly, but 300 miles North, in another state ;)

Calmini 3" lift coil springs $130 -> $340

Calmini shocks $37 -> $90 (each)

Calmini idler arm brace $30 -> $70

The two causes of so great differences are import taxes (60%) and, of course, shipping, which is highly affected by size and weight :(

But anyway, I'll survive loving my Pathfinder :D

And thanks, 88! :takebow:

But yes, shipping and taxes are my great problem. If you want to check, my city is Porto Alegre / Brazil, and Brazilian zip code is 91751-830. Probably a lot of $

if its in your budget, u should be able to fit31's on there, if thats what u want, stock on mine, give ya another inch; just a thought

I'd like 32"s, but I'll be happy with 31"s.

The tires aren't 31" 'cause I had to buy new tires asap when I bought the Pathy, and the local Goodyear dealer told me 255 was the max size for it. :furious: I guess the same happened to the previous owner, the tires were Wrangler RT/S 255 but the Pathy has the sport package, which includes 31". I wish I'd known this forum before!