how come theres not any newer pathys here

I think alot of people do take 'em offroad, but there's even less upgrades suspension-wise for your new ones than there is for our older rigs. I'm not flaming anyone for having a newer Pathy here, there's just a huge difference in the way the two are engineered & put together. You need to take it a little easier than I do.

1. Frame/Unibody ~ Frame has better structural rigidity, ease of mods if needed/wanted. It's just more utilitarian by design.

2. Shocks/struts ~ MacPherson struts will self-destruct long before a shock will, no if, ands, or buts.

3. Approach/departure angles ~ This goes to the early ones. Pg. 2 of Runnerman's pics shows what happens to big plastic bumpers low to the ground...

4. Overall weight ~ Not sure, but I'll bet your's is heavier than mine.

5. Power ~ Handsdown, this one goes to the new ones. I'd love to have a 3.3/3.5...

6. Creature comforts ~ Goes to you, too. But all that "stuff" adds weight and complexity...good thing you've got that bigger motor. More to break, too.

Basically the Pathy's have gone the way of all Japanese SUV's ~ they've grown overweight and softly sprung. In a word, they've become "Americanized". Same thing with the 4Runner, look at the early ones compared to those of today. Tell me, which one do you think would do better offroad ?

The huge advantage is having a newer (sometimes much newer) rig with less miles on it, and fewer (if any) previous owners, too. If it was me, I think I'd keep the newer one for regular driving, then try and pick up a good solid early one if you can afford it, to take offroad. I plan on getting a newer one here one of these days myself, but you can bet that my '87 is the one that keeps hitting the trails. Once again, just my opinion.

Enjoy the forums, see what other newer Pathy owners are doing to their rigs to make them more trailworthy, and ask away! There's some really nice newer Pathys represented here. You've found a great bunch of people that have the same passion for Pathy's as you do. Welcome... :beer:

"Your opinion may vary"... :gossip:

You have a good point "but" if you want to take your pathy offroad as we both know plastic bumpers are not made to stand for the abuse that is why you can upgrade to ARB bumper or just kick that plastic bumper back on again (like I did). One plus with the power of the new pathy you can rip that bumper off with ease :D .

With the suspension somone has said they upgraded with adjustable shocks?

I think the new ones and the old pathy's have the same clearence and they both are not protected like they should be underneath.

I guess I'm a cushy guy and like the all around feel of new pathy's On and Offroad.

Have fun Offroading :clap::clap::clap:

:beer:

I recently went to an 01 Pathfinder from a 94, just haven't had the chances yet to go offroading much. I do have some pics from offroading a few weeks ago in the snow that I just need to get moved off my camera.

Oh, and welcome to NPORA WAVEY

Greetings, all, I am new to the forum and this caught my eye. I bought a 96 a few months ago and had been planning on getting it up this spring. After learning more about these I think I'm going to keep it stock and find a pre-95 to build a straight trail rig with. It's a great truck, I'm just limited in what I can do.

As an aside... Anyone know of any good sources for parts besides AC? I'm not impressed with them at all. I'm still waiting on parts I ordered three weeks ago. I've called them twice and each time they tell me they'll ship monday. Now the question is: which monday?

yea i guess im a creature comfort sorta guy. im commin from a 93 maxima and also a 98 altima (both sold to buy the pathy). im not one of those people that buy an suv to haul kids around, i bought it cause i wanted to get some off roading time in but still wanted the leather, navigation, flip down tv (going in this weekend) ect....also im a Nissan guy i just cant buy anything else...... :bow: the xterra looked too cheap to me, the armada is just too dang big, the murano, well just diddnt appeal to me...i knew then the Pathfinder was the one it was perfect. great engine and road characteristics, awesome looks and well .....its Nissan..... sly

• 3 weeks later...

Other option: The Xterra should be called "new Pathfinder". They are essentially the same. Same wheel base, ladder frame, solid rear axle, but coils springs in the front. Xterra's are like updated '95 and older Pathy's. If size is an issue, the Xterra's are a lot bigger than you would think. Based on looks, I would say that the Xterra has more interior space than my '95.

I hadn't thought of an Xterra for my next vehicle until I heard about the wheelbase. Started looking into them, and now I am 95% sure that us what I will get next. Additionally, the '05 (don't know about older Xterrs'a) have quick-releases on the rear bench seat. With the bench removed and the front seats slid forward, you end up with well over 6' of flat surface. Great if you plan on sleeping in your truck, which I do from time to time. The Xterra is an "Everything you need, nothing you don't" sort of truck. I was very impressed by how Nissan outfitted it. It is a perfect fit for my truck demands, which seem to be inline with many/most of the people who post here.

Another major factor is that $27,000 in the base price of a new Pathy and the fully loaded price of an Xterra. The new Path is an overgrown stationwagon. But I can't afford new so I guess that it really doesn't mater.

I have a 2002 LE and I love it. I just wish they had easier/more available aftermarket options available. The older Pathy is too rough for my need for creature comforts- since I can only aford one vehicle. The main disdvantage is that the front struts are only provided by KYB (and it sucks that they use struts, not shocks, in the first place).

We need some tougher springs, shocks, strus, skid plates, and we are good to go on most trails. I love the smooth and relatively powerful, yet understressed motor. I have been somewhat frustrated by the lack of aftermarket products though, enough to make me start thinking about the 4Runner (darn, I said it, didn't I? :D )

Part of the problem is that the XTerra came out and that's the offroad SUV for Nissan. This Board is great and the guys make the most of their newer Pathys.

• 3 weeks later...