Woe es me.... frame fab and rear wheel bearings

SpecialWarr

Welllll it looks like it almost time to pull up and take the Pathy off the road for a while. I have some serious rust issues that need to be taken acre of ASAP. I have also noticed just this week that I have an unpleasant rubbing (unlike certain kinds of pleasant rubbing!) happening in the back axle area. Whatever is unhappy does appear to be cooking brake pads so I suspect that it's a wheel bearing, my only hope is that it is the E-brake pads that have popped a spring. So do I keep driving it for the rest of the week and take a look at it over the weekend or should I take the (eewww) CR-V?

It's discs at all four wheels... the problem is that I had new pins and bolts installed 2 years ago and I looked at them yesterday. All nice and smooth. So yep, it looks like it's going to be the (eeewwwww) CR-V.

adamzan you do NOT want to see the frame rust.... it is almost frightening!

I'll tell ya what though, I'll take before, during and after pictures of the fit-up and weld-up while I'm doing the frame repair at the cottage... this summer. Would anyone like dimensions and angles ( I assume that I'll not be the only person doing this in the future)??

My current plan is to do C.A.D (cardboard aided drawing) for each section from about the rear of the front door area to the rear bumper on the inside and top of the frame (since that is where most of the hard stuff to measure is) and remove most of the serious rust and pretty much all of the bottom section that I haven't yet removed. That's plan A. It's going to be most of my weekends (rainy and cold ones too) from April until I'm done; given sufficient cash to buy 4.5" x 0.125" in 8 foot (ish) sections for both sides and 2.5" x 0.125" in the same length for the top and bottom sections. I should go with the cold rolled 1018 like I did with last years' temporary repair ( in case anyone was wondering). I will have to get a plasma cutter though, there is going to be a whole lot of that.... maybe I can get a beer sponsor while I'm at it!

You might want to check out this site...

Auto Weld Chassis. com.

This is what I was considering when the rear frame of my '96 Hardbody snapped in two at the rear kick up. I already have a pattern for the frame rails here some where...I'll send them on when I find them. I actually had a House Wren (bird) nesting in one of the holes in my frame. I had already taken the box off to check out the rust so when it broke the middle of the frame actually hit the ground.

"actually hit the ground"

That must have been a bit of a shock kdj! I'm hoping that I can carefully pull the body off enough to get a MIG gun in between the body and the frame near the center mount at a reasonable angle to weld bits together. I know that I have to get this done this year; the beast will not make it through another winter in it's current state.

On a lighter but not much better note: it looks like the noise in the back is another stuck brake piston ( or is that the same piston that's stuck again? I can't remember.). So that is a pain in the bum that I would like to fix, but it's not a priority.