odd little switch

mrspeedk

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the answer to this question. I have a 1994 pathfinder 4wd. On the passenger side under the hood, close to the vacuum module for the cruise control, there is an odd little switch that looks like it goes down when the hood is closed. It does have a single electrical connection to it so it has to be connected to something. Can anyone tell me what this switch is called and/or what it does please? Thanks for your help!!

My '96 had one of those switches that did nothing. I thought it was either for and optional under hood light or a "door ajar (if hood isn't closed)dash light" that was not installed.

I would assume that is the switch that tells the ECU whether or not your hood is open, if it is open and you lock the truck does the alarm chirp at you?

It should chirp to tell you a door is ajar, in this case the hood. Now hold that switch down and lock again. It should lock as normal, if so... Question answered :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would assume that is the switch that tells the ECU whether or not your hood is open, if it is open and you lock the truck does the alarm chirp at you?

It should chirp to tell you a door is ajar, in this case the hood. Now hold that switch down and lock again. It should lock as normal, if so... Question answered :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NOT for the ECU. The ECU only operates the engine and forwards RPM & TPS information to the Cruise and AT computers.

Yes it is for the alarm system.

My 94 had a hood switch that would loose its grounding when the temperature changed thus setting off the alarm randomly after the engine cooled down. Took me a while to track it down but my solution was to strip the wire and screw it to the firewall.