The 94 is no more

Grumpy

A driver in Charleston, SC ran a red light the other night, and my daughter's beloved 94 Pathfinder is no more. She's fine, but mighty pissed at losing a great 94, with 92,000 miles on it, and no mechnical issues. I found a '97 today to put her in, and it has a small issue - the brake light is on in the dash. I worked the e-brake handle a few times, but the light is still on. Any ideas?

Also, at what point is the timing belt due on a '97?

Any other tips on 97s? The FAQ doesn't list too many problem areas.

Thanks

post-9-1110072149.jpg

Edited by Grumpy

Sorry to hear of the Pathy's demise and glad your daughter emerged unscathed.

Try filling the brake fluid reservoir. The dash light comes on when the fluid gets too low in my '87 .

I believe 105k miles for the timing belt with that year Pathy (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

/\ :snicker: I'm closer... (and better looking) :P

Sorry to hear about the accident, and I'm glad she wasn't hurt ! You can always buy new metal... A 97 eh ?? You couldn't find a pre 96 in good shape ? But then maybe it isnt worth the trouble and she doesn't "wheel" a lot... I dont know much about 96+ pathys; I just wanted to say sorry, and I'm glad your daughter is OK...

Bernard

Glad to hear everyone's OK

I would see if your manifold bolts are still under warranty (assuming you're still under 100k)

The 97's have exhaust stud issues too? f@#$ !

I prefer the look of the 95s and earlier, and the full frames they have, but I read that the 95s and earlier may have problems with survivable crush space after rollovers, so I wanted to put her in a 96 or later. She [hopefully] isn't off road too much. Maybe on the beaches down south.

As far as her looks go, I'd feel better about if she weighed 300 lbs, but so it goes. If you see her and she reaches into her handbag, she's probably coming out with a gun. :nono:

If you see her and she reaches into her handbag, she's probably coming out with a gun.

I think I'm in love.... Don't worry though, I can respect any father who calls HIMSELF Grumpy... It lets you know right where you stand !! :clap:

I never heard about roll over issues in pre '96 but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Wow, I think I confused myself !! Anywho, one of my main goals in life it to NOT roll my truck, but then you never know what happens. As a motorcycle rider I feel pretty darn safe in it though... I explained to a doctor who told me that I heal very well, "Practice, lots of practice..." No need for your daughter to go there...

B

Now I was under the impression on a 97 the BRAKE(!) light was solely in reference to the parking brake as I believe there is also a fluid light. One night off road I came over a bump and high centered and think I bent my parking brake line as I have to really push it down to get that light to turn off..

i remember when you got her that truck... darn.. mine is just like it... good to hear your daughter is fine ;) well, she'll have an air bag in the new one.... any salvegable parts worth the trouble???

Definitely. If I can find out from State Farm what junkyard it's going to, I'll post it. It has a fairly new in perfect condition MP3 player, 4 Goodyear tires with 90% tread, a tranny cooler, and the engine and transmission are fine, at 92,000 miles.

It's fixable, but the price of the fix exceeds the book value of the car. When the at-fault insurance carrier settles, they want the car for it's salvage value to help regain a little bit of their loss. I need to get her into another car pronto, for once they settle with me, the rental car provided has to go back within three days, or else I have to start paying for it. She's 1,000 miles from home, so I can't practically loan her my car while we fix the 94. You're always behind the 8 ball in an accident, no matter who is at fault.

Edited by Grumpy

That sucks to dump that truck. I'm certain it has less structural damage than what I did to mine 2 months ago, and while I still have some work to do, it drives ok and has most parts for $1735 so far, probably $2200 when I'm done. Yours would be perfect for a fixer project !! Maybe see what the junkyard would sell it for... ??

B

State Farm (the at-fault party's carrier) told the body shop it was a total. Two weeks later, State Farm decides they want to fix it. I've already bought a replacement. My brother wants to buy the 94.

I did a little googling on State Farm's practices. They aren't exactly the kind of company I'd be proud to work for. Among a very lengthy list of questionable practices, they recently lost a 23 year, 145 million dollar law suit filed by a former customer that they tried to screw.

Edited by Grumpy

Insurance companies suck, I have been pretty fortunate with USAA, but alot of my civilian friends have not faired so well.

• 8 months later...

Ouch! Damn, I hope that my 98 stands upright like that...that truck clearly took a beating and the damaged stayed localized...gotta love old steel!!! Glad all is well with the daughter, LOL about PRECISE's GRUMPY comment.

I too would say get your girl (truck) back and fix'er up!!!

MAN!!... that looks almost exactly like what happened to my wife's 94....LAST WEEK!!!

http://home.gci.net/~thingsnot2do/twins/DCP07389.JPG Front Closeup

http://home.gci.net/~thingsnot2do/twins/DCP07393.JPG side

Right into the side of a 91 subaru station wagon.... punk kid pulled outa the sears parkinglot infront of me in mommey's suby...

You arent by chance interested in parting with the front and rear differentials are ya??? and the trans if its a manual?

- Geeky907

Edited by Geeky907