Pimping a Spare Tire Rack

Harbinger

I'm looking at doing a little bit more with my tire rack. I was hoping to relocate my license plate to the rack, and add a Jerry can. Maybe a CB anantanea mount as well.

Are their kits for doing these type of things? Or do I need to learn how to weld?

Anyone else have anything unique they've done to theirs?

Good Idea ;-) Although I can already imagine the comments about a single round object in the rear of my truck....

Perhaps I should hang a color-coded bag with two tennis balls in it from my hitch at the same time :D *kidding*

I modified mine by taking it off....but..maybe some paint... a different tire cover...cb antenna mount....maybe a different rear bumper to change the look of things?? :unsure:

Well I like the look with it on better than it off. Don't have a cover though, didn't get one with the truck. But I figure having it back there is better than having it on the hood, all safari style :-)

I've thought about trying to find a way to mount a snowboard holder to the rack also, and put the spare up in a roof rack with a hi lift, shovel and other useful toys. (eventually!)

I don't think my snowboard will fit up top with the light bar there....

Edited by Harbinger

96_Nissan_Pathfider_Can_-_Jack_-_Spare_-Rear_View.jpg

Need some new pics. Can is white now. New rear bumper goes to the powder coaters the end of the month. Also added a cb antenna mount on the right side of the tire carrier.

Yeah, snosnk some more pics...

I'd like to see how you mounted that jack. I'm sick of my jack taking up cargo space. Does your window still open? Have you notice any sag on the arm from the extra weight? Looks good. :aok:

Nice snosnk ! Definitely update with picts !! I'm curious about your jerry can attachment; was planning on making some brackets to mount off of the tire carrier...

B

96_Nissan_Pathfider_Can_-_Jack_-_Closeup.jpg

96_Nissan_Pathfider_Can_-_Jack_-_Open_Gate.jpg

These are the only pics i have as of current. And my cam sucks. I'll take some more today and postem later.

To mount the jack i used two short (6") pieces of tubing with a carriage bolt welded to the top. Welded those to the top bar on the tire carrier spaced apart far enuf to fit throught the holes in the jack. And no, the back window wont open. I have to open the tire carrier first. I think i couldve moved the jack back a little so i could open the window but i had the factory spare on there when i put on the jack. It was a pretty close fit. Now with the new matching spare (different offset), theres more space to move it back.

To mount the can i used a small piece of angle iron welded to the bottom bar so it looks like a small u. This hook grabs the bottom lip on the can.

The top is a piece of tubing with a carriage bolt welded to it, with another small piece of angle iron to hook the handle on the top of the jack. Secured with a wing nut. better pics will help.

I havent noticed any sagging in carrier yet and it been like this almost a year.

I took some more pics this afternoon. Hope these help a little.

DCAM5779.JPG

1. The tab that holds the bottom of the can.

DCAM5780.JPG

2. Same tab, diferent angle

DCAM5781.JPG

3. Top can Bracket

DCAM5783.JPG

4. Gap between jack and tire. wasnt there with factory spare.

DCAM5785.JPG

5. CB Ant. Mount

DCAM5787.JPG

6. Can see jack mount a little better here

Whatcha all think?? (Other than a little rusty, will repaint this spring)

Well done and thanks for the picts !! Thats pretty much what I figured for the jerry can mount, but my idea was to make it bolt on for those with out a welder. Looks like you did a nice job !! Any rattles ??

B

The bottom bracket for the can isnt quite wide enuf so the can rocks back and forth, but it doesnt rattle. Will be fixing that soon. I used some foam water pipe insulation behind the can on the verticle bar on the tire carrier to keep the rattles down.

• 1 month later...
Guest BoyWander

I got the bug from snosnk and had to modify the Spare Carrier. I didn't want to weld anything on the Carrier itself, so I milled a few pieces of Black UHMW to clamp around the bar. Bolted that to a welded sleeve that the Jack can fit into. I lined the inside of the sleeve with rubber and bolted the thing on. I'll fashion a lock for it soon. I think I could dump this thing on a roof rack too, so I can put it on a friends Trooper. No rattle, and it's pretty beefy.

post-1-1113537529.jpg

Another idea I heard from 88, make a plate that matches the bottom portion of the piece which hold the tire out from the carrier itself. Weld the plate to the bottom, and it makes a great place to stash snatch straps, shackels, etc while wheelin, or just about anything that would fit.

• 1 year later...

ok cleaning out my many links i have saved up over my stay here :)

this was one of them, a good one to bookmark, but i was wondering about this post...

Another idea I heard from 88, make a plate that matches the bottom portion of the piece which hold the tire out from the carrier itself. Weld the plate to the bottom, and it makes a great place to stash snatch straps, shackels, etc while wheelin, or just about anything that would fit.

i cant quite visualize what you are talking about....if someone could elaborate, or 88, have u done this?

If you pull the spare off, then look directly into the cavity behind where the spare goes, you'll see that it has no bottom. Cut ye a piece of thin plate to fit the bottom of the standoff, weld 'er on, and you have a small compartment to put things in. I got the idea from MrReverse on AC's forums, back in the day.

I use my spare tire carrier for my second engine.

It's an old old old Tecumseh 2-stroke, 3 horse outboard for my 14ft canoe. I scored a piece of 1.5" plywood (it is actually 2 pieces screwed together) and a bunch of u-bolts. It takes a few minutes to bolt it on, but it holds my motor high enough that it's out of the way of any ditches I go through, and gives the added benefit of no gas smell in my pathfinder.

Just the other day I figured out that I can wrap my chain around the support for the spare tire. Much easier to get to then under the rear seat. I like the idea of closing it in though. Maybe with a lid and a padlock?

I will try to post some pic's from my laptop at work tomorrow.

IMG_88861280x1024.jpg

Just the other day, I was washing the salt of my pathfinder and realized that my spare tire looks pretty crap. So, I scrubbed it down, masked the tire, and painted the rim black.

Now it looks sweeter.

Friday's my birthday, and I am going fishing! w00t

Ok, this got me thinking. I thought I saw a jerrycan holder on AC's site. Has anybody ever bought this? If they did how did it mount on? I ask for those without a welder and may lack mechanical know how to DIY.

This is it.. http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/s...664183a3d24.jpg

Better be nice for $65!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder