Help me read my alignment numbers

patqx4

Took the pathy in for an alignment yesterday because I changed my tie rods over the weekend. Canadian tire gave me this print out of the numbers but it doesn't mean much to me, I don't know if It was way off or just negligible. Help me out please

alignment_zpsaa3avzwo.jpg

Should have more caster on the right side than on the left side to fight the crown of the road. It may seem to wander a bit to the right. It'd also be nice if they brought the left side camber down a smidge. Overall it's fine though.

Cool thanks guys. It was my understanding all that can be adjusted is front toe. It does drive straight and not wander. Just wondering if it was actually worth the hundred bucks! This is one of those rare things I pay shop labour for.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the camber has hardly any adjustment unless you get new bolts or oval out the holes in the struts. as long as it is within a degree or less to 0 its fine. There is some leeway lol.

With the toe being a ways off you would have started eating up some of the tread on the front tires, so in that respect it needed to be done, but yeah, prices for certain things have gotten out of hand and this is one of them. Unfortunately a necessity though. Goodyear charged me about that for my last alignment with a 3 month guarantee, they tried to sell me on an alignment with an unlimited 3 year guarantee (could get a free alignment every 3 months for 3 years) for over $200! I'm going back to Firestone next time for their $89 lifetime warranty alignment...

Well not necessarily out of hand per-se... there's some vehicles it takes hours to align properly and is a tedious and maddening process. Others it's a minimum of a half hour including setting the machine up and shaking the front end down to make sure it's even alignable. In that case they make a few bucks but generally break even.

Though some shops will let a vehicle leave way out of whack and still take your money the same.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

I'm going back to Firestone next time for their $89 lifetime warranty alignment...

This. Paid $150 for lifetime alignment through Firestone when I got the truck; the cost of two alignments there. Had the 3rd alignment just the other month...gave them a $0 bill and a free handshake. (Of course, I had actually eyeballed the alignment after lifting it again, before dropping it off and was spot on...so technically I did all the work.)

I align mine using strings tied to jack stands laid along the back sidewall on the tire, then tie it to a jackstand in the front "along the sidewall again. "do that on both sides and measure the distance between the sidewall and the string in the front. "rear of the front tire and front of the front tire, "along the sidewall to the string" If it is different on each side, adjust it until both sides are within spec.

I love only being able to adjust toe, as long as your suspension components are good. saves a lot of jack, not going to give anyone 100 bux to undo a lock nut and do half a turn retighten lock nut.

same mind set as i am not paying 600 per side for struts. /shrug havent messed anything up yet doing it that way.

Pat

I align mine using strings tied to jack stands laid along the back sidewall on the tire, then tie it to a jackstand in the front "along the sidewall again. "do that on both sides and measure the distance between the sidewall and the string in the front. "rear of the front tire and front of the front tire, "along the sidewall to the string" If it is different on each side, adjust it until both sides are within spec.

I love only being able to adjust toe, as long as your suspension components are good. saves a lot of jack, not going to give anyone 100 bux to undo a lock nut and do half a turn retighten lock nut.

same mind set as i am not paying 600 per side for struts. /shrug havent messed anything up yet doing it that way.

Pat

I had actually done this method before taking it in, except I just used a tape measure. Either I suck at taking measurements, or this way will never get 100% accuracy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It will never be 100% with string or tape measure but it is often close enough. Especially if you don't drive a lot or you have a lift and big tires.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk