Did the JGC coil spring lift today...

I have only seen straight ones... I'd say yours has the bejesits bent out of it.... Do you wheel hard ? Has the truck ever been hit from the side ? Was one tire sticking out farther than the other ?? Interesting...

Bernard

I have only seen straight ones... I'd say yours has the bejesits bent out of it.... Do you wheel hard ? Has the truck ever been hit from the side ? Was one tire sticking out farther than the other ?? Interesting...

Bernard

Everything looks fine and it doesn't have wierd tire ware or anything, but I do know it was wrecked by a previous owner, cause the doors won't close right...

So I guess I got about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of lift from the springs... Not bad for a 30min ride to the junkyard and $35... They where already out of the JGC and just sitting in the back... I got some spring compressors for the install, used them to put the JGC coils in, but the old ones popped right out... I didn't disconnect the e-brake, but I don't think I damaged it.

I haven't cranked them up yet, but I plan on doing a slight crank up when I do... I don't want to max it out. Plus I'll be buying the new UCA's and p-arms soon.

About that bent panhard rod...... How much would you expect to pay at a junkyard for one???

They just quoted me $75 at my local JY. I think that's a lil steep, but what do I know...

How exactly could that panhard rod get bent? I checked my reg JY and they had a bent one still on a pathy, but I wanted a strait one so I went down the street to the next JY with a pathy. They're the ones that want $75...

What does that do for the truck anyway???

PS... is there a different name for the panhard rod??? the guys at the junkyard had no ideal what I was talking about, I had to explain where it's located.

Looks to me like they're a little "pricey" for a used panhard. Here's the rundown for a panhard from the dealer courtesy of 88. Notice the bushings are included with a new one ~ no telling what the ones from JY's are like.

post-6-1109899710.jpg

Edited by hardwaretoad

Cool with the "lift", thats about the same as I got.... I'd just crank the T-bars until its level (or slightly nose down as I prefer) and leave it alone. You should still have about 1" to the UCA bump stops.

The pan hard rod holds the rear axle laterally, hopefully centered to the chassis, and keeps the body from slopping about in the rear when you turn. Thats all I have known them to be called, and I have NO idea what a good price is. Try calling the Stealership to get a price on a new one; this may put it in perspective...

The only way I can think that could get bent like that is if the driver rear wheel took a good hit from the side or the passengers side rear body was slammed, but there may be other possibilities...

Before you buy a new one, make sure your rear axle is centered and measure straight line bolt to bolt, then ask the wreckers to do the same. (I'd measure mine for you, but I cant find my tape measure :angry: ) If there is a difference, a straight one will shove your axle to one side (if you can get it on). If this is the case, check to see if your rear passenger frame rail is straight...

Anyone out there with a Pathy AND a tape measure to help him out ??

Hope this helps, good luck Bud !!

Bernard

The panhard rod locates and stabilizes the rear axle on the lateral(side-to-side) plane. It keeps the axle from moving side-to-side. Your Pathy must have been backed up into something or hit from behind to do that to it. A straight panhard rod shouldn't run more than like $20 if you can find one that's still straight(and a junkyard that isn't crooked). I can get one from a local yard if you can't find one for cheaper...USPS has a Priority Mail box that I think it'll fit into.

Thanks for the info on the panhard rod. I thought $75 was expensive. I'm gonna call around tomorrow and see if I can find it in a different JY for cheaper...

I asked my cousin the mechanic what he thought they'ed cost and he said over $100. :wacko:

I just got the 31x10.5x15 BFG MT's last week... Had'em two days, and was luvin the way the pathy was lookin,,, then my wife ran into the back of a FORD goin to McDonalds...

The damage isn't that bad... totaled the bumper, but didn't bust out any lens/lights... The worst thing is the headlight mounts are shot. So now I have to figure a way to get them fixed. I needed a reason to put a good bumper on anyway...

I just had less to type... :P You'd have to check with 88 as to whether these prices are anywhere near current. I'm not sure as to when these partslists were published. Even if they're 1-3 years old, that JY is still charging you brand new prices (or above) without the benefit of having new bushings, etc. ... :contract:

I'd go with 88's suggestion ~ You can trust that he'll get you a good one if one's available, and shipping shouldn't be that bad via The Big Brown Truck. With the money you save you can afford new bushings... and a sixer or two. :beer:

Track bar, pan hard bar, all the same.. Sway bar.. no no no thats something different.

Hey if you want a pan hard bar let me know, i have one in perfect condition i would sell for 30 bucks plus shipping. where are you at?

email me if you are interested