LSD OIL?

maddmark1981

My rear end is leaking from the fill plug and I'm wondering what the deal is.....I went to NAPA and asked for some LSD OIL and they looked at me like I had 2 heads, what is the problem and where do I find the gear oil Nissan calls LSD?

IIRC, Nissan calls for Pennzoil 80w90 LSD.

Any 80w90 with limited slip additives should be fine. You can also just use 80w90 and add a tube of LSD additive.

Ask about fluid for a "posi" rear end. They're probably Chevy guys and call all limited slips Positraction.

If it's leaking out the fill plug it's over full. It's good practice to use a thread sealing tape or compound on your plugs.

If using tape, be sure to get oil resistant type, and wrap it opposite of the way the plug tightens, i.e. wrap the threads counter clockwise since the plug tightens clockwise.

That way the tape doesn't just unravel when the plug is installed.

• Like 2

Since you're canadian you probably have a Crappy Tire nearby. I used the moto master 80w90 with a bottle of CRC posi-trac additive. Been working fine for years.

Mine is always a little wet at the fill plug, but never low on fluid. I only noticed it recently after a week long wheeling event, you could only tell because the rest was muddy. I'm not worrying too much about it.

Ok, awesome, one more thing "If I'm putting new gear oil in should I flush out the rear with Diesel before putting in the new oil? I heard this from a back yard mechanic, Any ideas as to if that's true or if it will work out?

Hey Guys, couldn't find LSD at Crappy Tire, I talked to the service guy in parts and he said to try Fast Eddy on the corner of Main and High in the building with garbage bags over the windows...lmao

OK so I thought I had the jug, but I actually have the one without the additive. I used this stuff in my front diff but the stuff with the additive looked very similar to this iirc (this was 5 years ago now)
IMG_20151011_112723_zpsui70f71z.jpg

So I walked next door to Canadian tire, Their store brand stuff has changed its look now. and they don't have the motomaster lsd stuff anymore! I did find this though, should be good but its expensive as all hell at 25 bucks a litre

IMG_20151011_111643_zps3vdxcxcu.jpg

I checked their website http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?searchByTerm=true&q=gear+oil

and looks like they have a "posi trac" additive. I think if I were to do it again right now, I would buy this 5L jug and use it in both diffs, and get the posi trac add for the rear diff. Hope that helps

0280249_1_zpst1zqwfvt.jpg0381543_1_zpsatnq7ubq.jpg

Thanks brother, yeah I seen that purple shhh too and the price was very high, they have motor oil as well, says its for racing but no idea if its any good or not, last week was the first time I ever seen it... Yeah I have a ol wd-21 thanks a million for all your efforts and help my man... Maybe once I get her up to snuff I'll take a rip out your way.. Thanks.... Mark

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I would run the Amsoil synchromesh transmission oil for your trans if you can find it. Ends up being about 13 USD a quart. I hear good things about it from the Datsun guys along with the muscle car crowd.

I bought 5 quarts of royal Purple before I found the Amsoil, and I'm kicking my self now. 100 bucks of gear oil when I could have spent half that. I still need to put that in...

• Like 1