Performance Mufflers?

edta1

Hello All,

My muffler assembly has rusted away and it's time to replace it. I was wondering if there is such a thing as performance mufflers (add HP? or Torque other bonuses?) for the Pathfinder 2001? If so, where do they sell these?

Thanks.

you can choose from Flowmaster, Dynomax, Gibson, Borla, among others. I have a dynomax on my 3.3, as do several others, and I like the sound of it. I've seen (but not heard) flowmasters on a 3.5, and would assume they sound good. Pretty much any of the above reputable brands will give you a good sounding exhaust, just with slightly different tones. Go to shops and see what they recommend, etc. I bought my muffler online from summitracing.com and had a local shop install it ;)

Edited by big_johnson

2001 rusted out? That's fast. Must be up north :)

Yup. I'm up in Chicago and we salt the roads pretty heavily...

The flange on the adapter sections have rusted away and the post muffler (the lst section before the xhaust is expelled) is flailing around...I'll have to inspect the POST muffler section more carefully, but the $tealership said the post muffler and adapter flange will have ot be replaced. I hope it didn't create confustion.

So is there performance post mufflers? Same companies? Dynomax, Borla, Gibson, etc. etc...?

What does a post muffler do anyways? Gets rid of more noise?

Thanks for the suggestions :D

Edited by edta1

and if your goin for a nice throaty sound be sure to cut the resignator off! i didnt and i was like WTF this 40 serious is BS. then i busted out the sawzal (spelling?) and cut it off and it sounded beautiful

the post muffler is called a resonator (not 'resignator :P ), and it just cuts down on the exhaust noise. I removed mine when I got my exhaust installed. If you want a performance muffler sound, then keeping the resonator seems counterintuitive, since it will only detract from the sound the new muffler provides. And yes, Magnaflow is another good quality brand, I just forgot to mention it (among others), though I haven't heard one on a pathy. ;)

yep! 50 series here also with/o (resignator just kidding Big J) resonator, love the sound added a chrome tip, and painted the piping itself with high heat black rust-o-leum (just at the back so the tip looked better).

sounds awesome, checked for magna flow for myself (have a great magna flow on my 2001 altima) they didn't make a dual in/single out...but they did have a dual in/out set up.

.........the question is, should you maintain the stock curve at the end or go straight out the back.....DJDANK you have it straight out the back right? Did it change anything? I saw on the back of the flowmaster box hat having it straight out the back on an suv can cause exhaust to re-enter the vehicle??

I beleive DJ_Dank has his out the side, he's rockin' a Stillen exhaust, I beleive, (which had a Dynomax muffler..?). I had mine piped straight out the back, not really a fan of the side exit (no offense to anyone ;) ), but I haven't noticed any exhaust reentering the car. I'm sure its more of an issue on SUV's like 4runners, where the rear window slides down, but I think the risk is minimal for our pathys :D

Guest blitZ

I went with a Dynomax also, but with a 3" tailpipe discarding the resonator. It's not too loud unless I nail it. I like the intake you have BJ, might have to try something like that.

I went with a Dynomax also, but with a 3" tailpipe discarding the resonator. It's not too loud unless I nail it. I like the intake you have BJ, might have to try something like that.

3" outlet, huh? Did you lose any low end torque? Generally, 2.5" is considered the max you want to go, but that applies to the VG series. I'm not sure what the guidelines are for the VQ engines. I suppose that the Z's and G35's aftermarket exhausts use rather large piping :D

Something to remember is that by routing your exaust out the back you're changing your departure angle for the worse and putting it in a position to have damage done to it much easier, too. Guess that wouldn't matter if you don't take it too hard offroad... -thnkboutit-

But they do look better coming out the back... B)

As far as the exaust re-entering, I argued in another thread with a couple of guys that were discussing putting like a power lift on the rear glass so the guy could open it while he was cruising down the road to supplement his 2-55 A/C. I voiced my concerns about CO poisoning, etc. ~ they blew me off. I've got to almost 50 knowing a few things not to do... :secret:

Edited by hardwaretoad

yep!  50 series here also with/o (resignator just kidding Big J) resonator, love the sound added a chrome tip, and painted the piping itself with high heat black rust-o-leum (just at the back so the tip looked better).

sounds awesome, checked for magna flow for myself (have a great magna flow on my 2001 altima) they didn't make a dual in/single out...but they did have a dual in/out set up.

.........the question is, should you maintain the stock curve at the end or go straight out the back.....DJDANK you have it straight out the back right?  Did it change anything?  I saw on the back of the flowmaster box hat having it straight out the back on an suv can cause exhaust to re-enter the vehicle??

Yup, its a stillen exhaust. Its called a Pro-x. Its a catback and all stainless. I love the sound of it. Even when I start her up and idle, its got a nice purr. Here's how it exits...You GOTTA take the resonator off...otherwise, its no fun! Here's an old pic of her before any rims or tires the day after I got the exhaust put in. :P354764_31_full.jpg

Something to remember is that by routing your exaust out the back you're changing your departure angle for the worse and putting it in a position to have damage done to it much easier, too. Guess that wouldn't matter if you don't take it too hard offroad... -thnkboutit-

But they do look better coming out the back... B)

True, but my hitch hurts the departure angle more than my straight-back exhaust, so it generally scrapes/hits before anything else. ;)

Wow...so a lot of people here took the resonator off? I just took the resonator and the pipe going to the resonator out today. The engine noise is not too bad but noticably a bit louder. I can't find a replacement resonator or that exhaust pipe ot the resonator at pep boys or autozone. It sounds like a dealer part to me.

Like I said, the engine noise is not too bad. I can live with it. But where do I find an exhaust pipe that will take my exhaust from the muffler to the rear. The flange coming out of the muffler hooks upward a bit, making it awkward to find a replacement. Any ideas? :shrug: How did you guys do it? I have a stock muffler BTW.

Also, is welding requred to do this?

Hey BIG JOHNSON

I was looking again at your photos and noticed that your piping where the resonator used to be looks like it swivels left then right after it leaves the muffler; looking from behind your rig. Does that cause you any clearance issues?

My muffler shop bent mine as close to stock as possible....so it curves wildly up towards the body to clear the axle....thus making that pipe really get crushed down in the pipe bender so that the 2.5 inch pipe is more like 1.75" in a couple spots.

Hey BIG JOHNSON

I was looking again at your photos and noticed that your piping where the resonator used to be looks like it swivels left then right after it leaves the  muffler; looking from behind your rig.  Does that cause you any clearance issues?

My muffler shop bent mine as close to stock as possible....so it curves wildly up towards the body to clear the axle....thus making that pipe really get crushed down in the pipe bender so that the 2.5 inch pipe is more like 1.75" in a couple spots.

They bent it as close to stock as they could near the axle, then just routed it away from the hitch/spare tire then straight out the back. So far, I haven't had any clearance issues, the pipe is high up enough over the axle that it doesn't hit when flexing, and it is far enough from the spare tire that the rubber doesn't get burned. I know what you're saying with the pipe diameter changing with the bending though. Mine probably got only as small as 2" above the axle, but it's still there. The only way to get rid of that is to have the pipes mandrel (hehe, there we go...) bent, but that costs much more. On our 3.3's, I'm sure the piping really makes minimal difference. ;)

post-7-1110221968.jpg

Edited by big_johnson

Mandrel (mandril) bending is the only way to go to get smooth exaust flow, you absolutely don't want choke points hurting your escaping gasses. -thnkboutit-

98silverpathy, I'd take it back & demand that they install your piping correctly ~ a competent shop would've never bent it so drastically as to reduce your pipe diameter by folding it over, etc. You paid your hard-earned cash, make 'em do it right... :contract:

If the places you're going to don't have a simple tool like a mandrel pipe bender, I'd be looking for a more competent shop... ;)

Edited by hardwaretoad