OME springs

sarguy

I just installed Old Man Emu springs on my 97 SE. They have given me about 1.5 inches of lift and really improved rice quality. The problem is that the front end is riding lower that the rear. How can I fix that and get a level ride height?

Well, if you replace your front strut springs with OME springs, that should raise your front almost as much if not exactly as much as they did your truck's rear.

I was under the impression that the truck had the springs put on all around. OME calls their springs a "lift kit" so only buying them for the rear naturally would make the rear higher than the front... If this is the case and the truck does have 4 OME springs, what (for you people who have them) would cause this? I am also looking to put the OME springs on and if this is the result that happens what would correct that?

ahh now I have been enlightened. what about the AC lift? does that provide even ride height? or how about these spaces how hard are they to fab? Or maybe I would just get the heavy duty spring and deal with the rough ride.

I think ACs lift might have a little sag in the front but you could just do a spacer like snosk he used a piece of teflon and cut it out into the shape of the strut mount. just set it on top of that and got some longer bolts. Fairly simple. The heavy duty springs might do it but i would rather deal with a lower sitting front than a rough ride. Those were made primarily for having a bullbar. But i dont think the lower sittin front is that bad because even with the stock suspension it doesnt sit strait wo when you get the lift all its doin is bumpin it up an inch and leavin the same form that it was at. ( i dont think that made any sense but o well)

oh so it's not a drastic sag in the front end. I was fearing my path going the route of a top fuel dragster.. I guess I will just try it out and if it bothers me tear it all back apart and put in a spacer. Thanks for the help 96!

The truck does have new springs all the way around. It's not a large difference in height between the front and rear, probaly something nobody would notice on the road or trail but I can see about a 1/4 to 1/2" difference when it's in the garage. I ordered them from AC/4x4parts.com and they said that it was normal and about the same difference front to rear as when the truck was new. I looked at it today when my 2 dogs were loaded into the back and it was pretty much level. I almost did the 2" spring lift that they offer but I just replaced the rear shocks a few months ago and couldn't justify doing new ones for only about an inch more lift. At any rate I would recomend the OME springs my truck really rides great, I haven't done any mudding yet but it felt good on a rough fire road.

Did you just replace the springs in front or the struts as well? Also, would you please describe the difference in ride? Is it a lot firmer and bouncy or just a little firmer? The stock springs are obviously a bit too soft but the ride on the highway is quite nice. How do the new springs ride on the highway and in the city?

Sorry for a million questions but I'm getting ready to do the same thing in a month or two.

I'm running KYB dampeners all the way around I had just done the struts about 8 months ago. My whole reason for doing the springs was that I had to do the rear control arm bushings so I figured why not kill 2 birds with one stone. Of course the control arm bolts have to be cut off and I just got the replacement today, so much for saveing time on the install I couldn't wait to put the springs on. It is a firmer ride but not harsh at all. After I get the bushings in I'll go romp on it a little and let you know how it is in more detail.

My whole reason for doing the springs was that I had to do the rear control arm bushings so I figured why not kill 2 birds with one stone.

That's my motivation to tackling this project too. did you order new arms or just new bushings?

I ordered AC's poly bushings, they are getting installed tomorow morning. Beleive it or not but the new springs pretty much keep the swaying in control, I'm thinking the truck will be rock solid with the new bushings in. I'll get it dirty and take some pics.

SWEET, thats what I was hoping to hear, I don't know if I will be able to get the bushing issue resolved while I am here at school, but I am pretty sure I can make springs/shocks happen. It was a long, almost scary, 6 hour drive back to ohio after winter break and don't really want to repeat that with twice the load when I head home for the summer.

I would make the bushings my first priority. Just have someone video you from behind going down the road and send it to your P's. They'll definetly pay for it or front you the money. I wouldn't do a six hour drive with those kayaks up top with the swaying going on.

how much did the bushing job end up costing you? I know the bushings are something like 30 a package and you need 4 packages. Then the labor to press/install. Here was why i wanted to do the springs - I feel like the swaying/bushing wear out was caused by my rear springs/shocks being fatigued (the bump stops are just rolling around inside of there from bottoming out) and therefore putting excess stress on my control arms. For me, this problem just started with this most recent trip and it occured maybe 3 or 4 times for periods of about 10-20 seconds during the entire trip. I was hoping that by replacing the springs/shocks I could buy myself some time.. Any thoughts?

I had my OME's installed before I had the rear control arms replaced. It didnt help the infamous wiggle down the road. I went with having the control arms replaced instead of just the bushings because it was going to cost less (still 700$). The shop manual states 2 hrs / bushing to R&R them. 8 bushings is 16hrs. at 50$ / hr shop rates thats 800$ not including parts. The control arms were about 120-140$ each and it only took the mech a couple hrs to install em.

I had the same prob with my emu's in the front, negligble lift. I added a 1 inch teflon spacer on top of the strut and so far so good. The front sits a little higher than the rear now. That will go away soon as the pathy is gettin a new bumper. I think it will settle the front to just the right height. I have noticed that the front cv joints are starting to groan because of the axel angles, and am currently looking for some manual hubs to fix this problem. Any body got a line on manual hubs for an R50?

I agree with you that the emu's have a much better, firmer ride than factory. And coupled with OME shocks on the rear the pathy twists up pretty good.

installed_lift.jpg

Edited by snosnk

I just got my OME front springs in and kyb struts in. My Pathfinder is just 2 wheel drive and it will be interesting to see if I get a little more lift out the front since I have less weight up front. I'll post some before and after pics.