Plans for my 94 wd21...

Hey guys... I'm planning out my 94 wd21 se. I'm wanting some tips and links if you guys have any. I'm just wanting to make sure I don't screw up anything. I'm also going to post some questions at the end on a few parts I need and see if you guys have any ideas on where to get them...

Here's my Pathfinders info

94 Nissan Pathfinder SE auto with limited slip diff. Factory engine (still stock) 232000 miles and still running strong. Transmission rebuilt at 199000 miles. Fuel injectors replaced around 215000 miles. Manifold bolts are starting to break (replaced one set about 4k ago, and other side is starting to go). I'm looking at replacing my O2 and engine temp sensors soon. Also this thing has minimal rust. Probably the least amount of rust I've seen on a vehicle this age (and I'm including cars that don't go off road and never get mud jammed in the frame).

I know the previous owner really well (one of my best friends) and I've been wrenching on this thing for over 10 years.

My goal for this thing is to be a awesome multi purpose rig (towing/off road/long distance driving/and help in disasters) that's not great at all of it, but can do in a pinch and be fun/reliable/functional.

Anyway, that's my pathy... Here's what I'm looking at doing... (I'm still required to pass emissions until 2019... And I plan on owning this thing way longer than that )

I'm wanting a snorkel. I'm not sure what type, but the one from 4x4 parts http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18916659-hardbody-pathfinder-snorkel.htmllooks pretty good. I've neen cheaper ones that look good but say they are for the Diesel engines. Will they work on the vg30 also?

Headers... What type do you guys run? I can only seem to find the pacesetter ones. They are better than stock, but are they the best for the money? I'll probably wrap them also for heat control.

I'm planning on putting in euro cams. Any extra pointers in this area would be helpful.

I'm needing to get my exhaust replaced soon (next year or so) because it's starting to really rust now. What do you guys recommend for getting that done? And what parts are best to use based on experience?

I'm looking at getting a 93/94 Nissan Maxima electric radiator fan and deleting the mechanical fan on the front of the engine. Will that keep up with the heat (I live in Georgia and 105 degree temperatures are possible during summer and low teens in winter). Will this work well? Will a different one work better?

Something else I'm thinking of is when this engine goes to drop in a vg33... So I would like for the mods to fit/work with both engines (looks like almost everything does).

I'm coming up on a timing belt/water pump replacement. I'm thinking of getting my front main seal, oil pump, and cam seals replaced at this time since they will be in the front of the engine anyway.

I'm thinking of getting heated seats because my wife likes them (trying to put in a mod for her to keep her happy). What's the best rout for that?

Parts I need and can't seem to find easily...

Steering column cover in grey... Or any color because I can repaint it if necessary.

Door lock timer... Mine is acting up.

I've seen these parts online at www.nissanpartsdeal.com and wonder if I can find them cheaper...

Any further ideas to consider, directions, links, ways of fabricating this stuff myself, plans, ANYTHING would be appreciated...

• Like 1

Sorry guys. I forgot a part that I need to replace or need advice for repairing...

The sun visors. They won't stay up and rotate down even with a bump on the interstate. I pulled the driver side one because it was getting dangerous. I still have it. But would like to know how to fix it or where a suitable replacement can be found... Thanks again!

Looks like my rear coils are sagging... Shoot! Now to lift or replace with stock height? That is the question... Also the front right is lower than the front left... Torsion bar adjustment needed...

I've always used the Audiovox universal seat heaters. You just pull the fabric off the seats and cut the heating elements to the size and shape you need and they mount with like a 3M tape, but I would recommend a spray adhesive as well (your elements might slide if you don't). Wiring for the seat heaters is as simple as running your harness and +12v switched and ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Try searching the forum on electric fan stuff. There are a lot fo great write ups, and with the right fan and a properly functioning cooling system you should have no problems. You should also read up on keeping the autotragic transmission happy, theres some reccomendations on trans coolers.

I personally know forum member theexbrit is running an efan on his r50. His rig has stayed cool in places where mine nearly overheated with the bored out 3.3 and other goodies.

If you can find them, I reccomend the Thourley headers (spelling?). I love them.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Headers... What type do you guys run? I can only seem to find the pacesetter ones. They are better than stock, but are they the best for the money? I'll probably wrap them also for heat control.

I'm needing to get my exhaust replaced soon (next year or so) because it's starting to really rust now. What do you guys recommend for getting that done? And what parts are best to use based on experience?

The "best" headers are subject to personal opinion. Some people have had poor luck with fitting the pacesetters, while they work perfectly for others. OBX headers are being ran by some people also, and are a cheaper option, albeit with similar install issues (Sometimes even requiring a body lift.). The "best" option seems to be the Doug Thorley headers, although they are the most expensive.

For exhaust, I replaced all of mine from the y-pipe back with 2.5" tubing. 2.5" is generally the largest you want to go, with 2.25" seeming to be the sweet spot. Muffler/Cat brands are down to personal preference. I like my flowmaster setup, but it really comes down to what you want your rig to sound like.

You guys ROCK!!! Thanks for the ideas...

On the electric fan, a friend of mine has a modified z32 300zx that he did the maxima swap in... I'm going to also chat with him on his mod (vg30de in a 300zx isn't too different from a vg30e in a pathy)...

Again... Thanks guys... I'm taking all this stuff in and finding the parts... Hopefully I can get some money up and make this thing a decent jack of all trades...

Edited by Sparkyonbass

I use a ford taurus 3.8 electric fan on my pathfinder, and they seem very popular with the offroad crowd. Lots of power, two speeds, and it does a good job of keeping my motor cool in 100degree heat.

• 2 weeks later...

The vg30de is not 100% different... Only 50% different... The top 50% of the engine, crank, and pistons... The block and many other components are the same (Nissan made the same stuff for everything to cut costs)... Vg30de engines are prone to running hotter when tuned... That's why I stated it... If a performance tuned vg30de can be cooled with electric fans and survive this heat, so can a fairly stock vg30e... That's what I was trying to say...

I've seen new replacement fan assembly's for maximas for around $80... I'll have to look for the one for the Taurus...

• 3 weeks later...

Pathy with auto are notorious for failing. My old wd21 was auto and it fail. So I got another but stick and 4x4.

As far as mods go, I'll start off with the headlight relay harness. Trust me, it's a good mod for headlight problems and better lighting.

Then for exhuast mani, I'll get aftermarket. Which ever brand. And prepare it with 300zx studs so it doesn't break again.

I'll also add a suspension lift probably 2-3". Maybe a light bar?

Thats what I'll do with my wd21 atleast.

• 2 weeks later...

Disregard that last post... Found a kit on Amazon for $40 that will do it all for me... All I would have to do is plug in a few plugs, connect a few ground wires, and hook a wire to the positive side of the battery...