Oil catch can?

tmoore4512

So I have cleaned the throttle body and intake several times over the span of time that I have owned the truck and grow tired of the build up of oil and gunk inside...

In years past I have built several Honda motors and the fix for the same symptoms above was installing an oil catch can.

Yes I have searched, maybe it is not called an "Oil Catch Can" here...

Anyone done this to their Pathfinder? If so anyone see any improvement?

No sir. Referring to a device that attaches in line of the PCV and air ductwork from air filter box and throttle body, which collects oil blow by and prevents it from getting into the throttle body and intake causing sluggish performance...amongst other things.

I have an extra one in storage, may just hook it up and do a write up on it...

I had a mini catch can on top of my valve cover for my TBI vg30i. It was designed so that it drained back into the engine every time the engine was stopped.
The engine had worn rings and and lots of blow-by so the filter element inside the can was always wet.

The EGR is right next to the throttle body and that may be a factor. Make sure your EGR valve is not leaking, your tune, timing and injectors are good/clean and this can help reduce the amount of soot that comes from the EGR and mixes with the crank case vapors. Some staining inside of the throttle body is normal and acceptable so long as the throttle shaft turns freely and none of the vacuum ports get plugged up.

"several times over the span of time that I have owned the truck " is this years? 100,000 miles? How often?
Lots of cold driving will increase crankcase vapors. So will light weight or over used oil.

On a side note for oil, I have switched all my vehicles over to Chevron Delo 10w30 (diesel oil). Since then all sounds of valve/lifter noise has ended and oil consumption has reduced or possibly gone away.

I agree some staining is acceptable, and yes I have cleaned the TB and intake several times, all due to having the intake off for top end motor work and was surprised with how much has built up each time.

Have been running 15w40 oil since I purchased the truck which drastically reduced engine noise. I know, people will trip out that I am running that weight oil, but I have the same kind of wear as you spoke of.

The EGR system is functioning but may be not at 100%, thanks for that.

I fitted a catch can 2 years ago and yes it intercepts the oil vapor from the rocker cover breather. Without the can it is plumbed to the vacume side of the intake so gets drawn thru the turbo and blown up the intake system. It condenses and is evident as black oil throughout the pipework on my diesel. After fitting the can the intake remains perfectly clean and the can itself, I drain when I do normal oil changes. (usually has about 1/4 cup) As an aside, the can didn't work too well when first fitted as it was hollow. I filled it with steel wool to give the vapors something to stick to and slow down their velocity thru the can and it works 100% now, with no oil exiting the can breather. My TD27 has travelled 106km or about 65000 miles so is still pretty snug mechanically.

• 4 weeks later...