Timing belt

96pfinderSE

not really ... but if you were to pull the timing cover off, you could visually inspect the belt for cracks, wear marks, spilts or frays ... at any rate, it would be advisable to change it at regular intervals ... i'm not sure what the miles are for your rig ... but I believe that it is around 150K miles ...

Yea i know my dad and i are gonna do it next week. Just wanted to see if there was any sign of it goin bad. Im gonna do the full shabang too Water pump and all. Heard to many stories about changin the belt then the water ppump goin bad a little after. But the water pump is easy stuff.

Usually, the cause of the water pump going bad in this case is removing the fan/clutch for clearance issues. When you remount it, it has a different imballance point, and worn bushings in the waterpump only put up with this for a while before failing. I have never been able to figure out a way around this so I have replaced many fan clutch/waterpumps "unnecessarily" because I was there and didn't want to be back there in 3 months... Good planning ! Cost a little extra, but means less trouble in the future. :clap:

Bernard

Its definately something where, if you're in doubt, you're better off doing it. And while you're there, do the water pump too. If you skimp, there are many issues you could face. Late T/B, lots of labor on its own. Water pump failure, might as well replace the belt while you're in there. T/B failure, you may consider a new engine as the repairs for any bent valves because of the interference engine will be steep and from now on your existing engine is suspect. I know its pricey, around $600+. But if in doubt, its cheaper than an engine replacement if you guess wrong.

No service. Replace. It's not an expensive part, and there's a lot of labor involved in it which all has to be done to replace the Timing Belt anyways. That's why everyone suggests to do that as well while you've got it all apart.

Guest ksakella

Not too bad a job at, all for the do-it-yourselfer. Good thinking to just change the timing belt out. Didn't know about the bearings going bad on the water pump because of the tension and all that...but it is possible. My brother had major problems with the water pump...changed it 3 times! If you are getting a water pump, get it from a dealer or a 'good' parts store. 2 of the 3 pumps my brother got were from Kragen...or what I like to call Krappen!

If you're going to do the water pump, might as well flush the cooling system first, and throw in a thermostat for good measure while the coolant level is down, and replace with new coolant too. If you really wanna get into it, use distilled water with the new anti-freeze. It's more kind & gentle to the chemistry of the cooling system, but not a must-do issue. The potential exists to get another 60,000 miles out of that engine, which may equate to 2 or 3 years worth of driving.

But then again, the guy posting this shakes engine oil bottles to put the additives into suspension prior to adding oil at oil change time, so maybe I need some medication to begin with. :unsure:

Edited by Grumpy

LOL Grumpy, and I thought I was bad !! I always use distilled water in the radiator, anything else will produce scaling which lessens the efficiency of the cooling system. I don't shake the oil though, maybe I should try it... :shrug:

B

hi there ..

so did u change ur timing belt and water pump ? how difficult was the task and what all did u replace ?

i just got my 96 Pathfinder 3 days ago. has 104 k miles ..and to my utter dissapointment i noticed its leaking coolant occasionally..its not coming from the radiator and the hoses ..

so im guessing its from the water pump and i can see drop dripping on the plastic cover under the body . is the water pump the silver colored housing right behind the fan ?? is the water pump failure common on the vg33e motor ?

does anyone know if there is a link or website with instructions on changing the water pump/timing belt ? i havent bought the haynes manual as i was planning to buy the factory service manual.

any info on prices of parts / labor costs and difficulty of labor would be greatly appreciated as im totally new to the Pathfinder ...

thanks in advance ..