Lets chase something

Zraver

Ok, so I use a 4x4 a bit differently than most. I am coming out of a 1998 lifted suburban named Bear- The big brown bear, loaded for bear and driven by a bear (UCA Alum). My new ride is an 01 SE 4x4 hence the name Tiny. I don't rock crawl or mud, I do search and rescue, snow/ice rescue and chase storms. So far all I have done is add a cargo rack, replace the rear shocks and springs, replace the old headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars, new shoes (Toyo Open Country ATII) and order the winch bumper (already have a badland 9k winch) with stinger bar from TAG. Once the winch bumper arrives, I am doing front struts and adding a 2" lift. Next tax season I plan on adding rear lockers, rhino lining it and perhaps shatter safing the windows.

2vxqdq8.jpg

2e1x8c0.jpg

293gayu.jpg

Edited by Zraver

I carry- recovery bag w/ snatch block, tree saver strap, commercial recovery strap, 15' logging chain, 2x shackles and a hitch slide in D ring. Ax, E-tool, sledge hammer, rescue hammer/ax, gas shut off tool, and chain saw w/ PPE. 5 gallon metal jerry can and a 1 gallon can saw fuel) Trauma bag, folding tactical stretcher, SAR hasty pack, USAR uniform and PPE, tracking stick, 2x SAR helmets, K9 kennel, K9 supplies and water, fire extinguisher, air compressor, tent, sleeping bag w/ sleeping mat, automotive tools, jumper cables 750w inverter, dash camera, GPS, cell phone amplifier, mifi mobile hot spot, weather station, triple trunked digital scanner, 2 meter radio, 100w siren, amber rotators, red LED emergency light bar (magnet mount for rescue ops), white LED grill lights.

I hope you installed the 2" lift springs from AC, all that weight should settle them to about normal stock ride height. :tongue: all kidding aside, I feel you'll enjoy your new ride. way more nimble in the trails than the old 'burbon. I think I've finally found someone who carries even more crap than I do. If your not always prepared your never prepared.

• Like 1

That's a lot of weight to carry around on stock springs. Definitely upgrade to Heavy Duty springs and a lift spacers to counter act all that. Sounds awesome though! Welcome on board!

So you just moved like..a 4 bedroom house into a 1000 square foot apartment.....I have got to see the pics when you get this thing loaded up. TheExBrit is gonna be pissed...or more likely over joyed someone carries more gear than he does! So, do you have a checklist or what? How do you stay on top of all that gear?

• Like 2

I had to play tetris to get it all loaded and left a bunch of stuff I used to carry out. No more riding around with a push up awning, no 72" rock bar, no giant tool box full of jacks, jack stands fluids etc, no kitty litter and chains, only 1 spare tire, no K9 hazmat decon kit etc. I'll try and take some pics. Some of the stuff like the farm jack, sledge, ax and jerry can got moved to the top. Winch went from a receiver plate to will be mounted on winch bumper when the bumper arrives in June. Wet to a much smaller dog crate which was OK since my original k9 partner was a dutch shepherd and she washed out and my new partner is a Mountain Feist who is 1/3 the size.

Since I do search and rescue, disaster relief and storm chasing I carry a lot of gear.

Stuff i forgot to mention- 750 lumen spot light, 3x highway reflectors, car seat, 8" tablet (for radar when chasing), hi-vis vests, frog togs, laminated atlas, emergency vynl window sheeting, and various odds and ends.

Edited by Zraver

food and water? for you and your partner.

I teach wilderness self reliance as a side project (www.borealisbushcraft.com) and have notice (sadly) especially in my part of the world where civilization can be far apart that most people don't keep any type survival gear with them at all. no extra clothing, no blankets or sleeping bag, no signaling devices, and yet travel hundreds of Kms through empty landscape with the idea that there vehicle will never brake down or end up in a ditch. In fact I just had a conversation with a neighbor this evening about traveling in winter on highways through the prairies, and he told me about time when he hit the ditch during a snow storm in Saskatchewan and only survived because of his dogs and the fact that he had almost a full tank of gas when he got stuck and so was able to run the car throughout the night to keep warm until he was rescued by the RCMP. He now travels with a fine survival kit that should work great if a similar thing should happen. One lucky guy. Have you notice the same thing? any good stories?

I just remembered something from my army days....there was this class of soldier / NCO that were responsible for how vehicles were loaded with equipment called Load Planners. They were the ones that would basically strategize on how to get everything to fit most efficiently with regard (I'm guessing) to weight distribution and necessity of access.

You talk like a tactically trained soldier, you wouldn't happen to be an former military Load Planner would you?

Bushnut, I can fully self sustain my dog and I for 72 hours. My SAR hasty pack has all the basics for wilderness survival and compass based land navigation including a 2 meter baofeng radio so even if the truck is disabled and I can't use my 2 meter mobile and my phone dies I have some form of coms. If 1 is required, 2 is better and 3 is prudent.

gv280z, former 19K (M1 Abrams tanker) so yes tactically trained but but not a load planner.

Stories- not life or death, but I am known for being the person to ask for something on a search, storm chase or other event if it is needed. From a fully stocked trauma bag, to a portable air compressor I am prepared. Might have something to do with my PTSD- I know how rough it can get.

gv280z, former 19K (M1 Abrams tanker) so yes tactically trained but but not a load planner.

This explains it. I'm an armour guy myself. Tanks and Recce. I know the importance of making a lot of stuff fit in small spaces. We don't have loading dudes, for us it's a crew complete task. Drivers load all the POL and tools etc. Crew commanders ensure everything else from ammo to surveillance gear, food, water, and more ammo is packed and stored where it needs to be.

Maybe this explains why my truck is organized the way it is lol.

ee75511b6136916483b89e5a2d1a11d8.jpg

• Like 1

from the storm chase yesterday, rotating wall cloud 2 miles north of Malvern, AR. Tried to follow it up I30 and had to deal with the hail core. No my daughter is not a vampire...

j0jk3a.jpg

9749xt.jpg

So, I've had Tiny for about a month now. two things standout so far. 1. I really need those heavier springs. 2. The engine is a dream. I had the more powerful VQ35HR in my Z. but for what it is the VQ35DE in the pathy is a perfect fit. It has responsive, easy power all the way through the band, never feels like its struggling, throaty when I get on it, but not loud when just cruising. Of every 4x4 I've ever owned this is the best motor/vehicle combo I've ever had. Really torn on whether to do a pop charger or a snorkel.

• 3 months later...