4x4 not working!

So here it is. I've inspected took apart and regreased each auto hub. Hubs are not the issue. I then noticed that one cv axle was not spinning while in 4x4 or when turning the front driveshaft in 4x. Now, Ive unbolted each axle from the diff flange. Even still the passenger side flange does not spin when in 4x.

I then spun the flange by hand, and it will spin the other one in the opposite direction. So it seems as if when the front drive shaft spins, the passenger side one stays still. Diff will be coming out tomorrow, what do you guys think it is?

Hmm. Sounds like the diff is fine, it just has a little more resistance on the passenger's side bearing or seal than the driver's for some reason. It's an open diff, so if one side's got more resistance than the other, it'll spin the easier side twice as fast while the tough side sits still. I'll bet your driver's side flange is going twice as fast as it should be to compensate for the passenger's flange not moving. I'm not sure what would make one side bind up, or if a little extra resistance is normal and nothing to worry about. Either way, it's not why your 4x4 doesn't work.

If the driver's side CV is turning, it should be locking up the driver's side hub. Once that's locked, the passenger's side hub will have to spin as well, and should lock up in turn. The fact that the passenger's CV isn't turning at all says that the driver's hub isn't locking. Did you check clutch thickness when you had the hubs apart? Mine looked minty fresh when I pulled one apart, cleaned, and greased, but the clutches measured way under spec and it actually performed worse after a clean & grease.

I can't remember ever reading about someone blowing up an R200A (front diff) in a Pathfinder, but I've read about a lot of failed auto hubs.

I'm looking at the FSM exploded view right now and the only things that make any sense to me are major mechanical failures. Diff side shaft broken, ring gear missing lots of teeth, right side gear broken. In short: if there are not chucks of metal coming out the the problem is either binding in the diff or the hub clutches worn out as far as I can tell!

Let us know what you find!

mine is getting a popping sound on tight turns and my 4wd is not grabbing well (checked while in snow and only the DS spun to get traction). I suspect I've blown a CV joint but it will have to wait till it's warmer before I start tearing mine apart