Good gas mileage in town but horrible on freeway

RCWD21

That's what I was going to do next once the oxygen sensor was in. They're both OEM so I might as well replace them. Just waiting on this sensor to hurry up and get here

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to take close look at your wheel bearings if you can get the beast into the air. I had one the was scrapped and it was eating into my mileage a lot. I think I put up a picture in the Pictures and Videos area on here.... nervermind! Here it is:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/27/cd9b291bf2daff3e4d3fa96ccfbec2c4.jpg

I actually checked them before I handed over the grand I paid for it. Smooth and no noise or scraping noises besides the pads on the rotors. Plus I regressed them when I installed new wheel seals and calipers once I got it home. The lockimg plate is tighten correctly and the only thing besides these sensor that I can think would be eating into my mileage is the front bushing in the control arms. The steering wheel is a tad sloppy and before I adjust the steering box I want to make sure that everything else is good. They still seem good but all the steering linkages will be replaced once I get the money. I figured for $130 for all the linkage components its a good deal to make sure I can steer straight and this monster is up to where I want it to be. I have the sensor at the shop waiting to be installed now I just need to get over this damn head cold and find a warm spot to install it. I'm ordering a new knock sensor and CTS soon to Aldo eliminate those as variables. I've been reading a lot on the smaller things and I can't find a consistant answer so I'm just going to replace them. The knock sensor is original and it literally looks like a spiderweb but it tested good before the engine was pulled so I didn't think twice about it then. Now I regret it big time. So hopefully I can snake my arm under there to unplug it

I did manage to do that but I needed a short piece of stiff steel wire sharpened at one end to get the retainer off. I just used a stainless steel mountain bike spoke that I sharpened on a grinder and bent by hand. It was still a challenge to get off.

Did you relocate your knock sensor? If so where did you mount it to? I was thinking one of the plates on the back of the head where one of the crankcase vent lines go. But then again I'm pretty sure I could just jack up on the transfer case a bit and undo the transmission mount and that'll give me more room so I'll hopefully be able to swap sensors since I know the bolt isn't stuck because I removed it once before.

Yes I've cleaned it. CRC Maf cleaner. Didn't make a difference at all. Unplugged it to check to see if its functioning correctly and it went into limp mode.

Ahh ok. I looked at an OEM harness just out of curiosity and it was almsot $1500! That's rediculous! Luckily I can pick and choose connectors and clips from wiring specialties.

Alright guys, I got the sensor installed and the mpg issue has gotten WORSE! I'm at the point of just replacing every sensor to rule it out. The only code I've ever pulled from this is for the knock sensor. I have one on the bench that I just received yesterday.

I figured some things out with mileage. I'm getting 9.57 miles per gallon so that's right at 200 miles a tank. Which is obviously way off from the normal. I don't expect amazing mileage out of this thing but I'd like at least what was advertised or maybe a little better if that's possible. Everything else is new and well within spec. Hopefully the sensor will arrive today

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't these only come with a 13 or 15 gal tank? My tank won't hold anywhere near 21 gallons (200 miles, 9.57 mpg) & I get about 250 per tank with my 15 gal tank. When I first got the truck, it needed basic maintenance & got 180ish mpg per tank.

Mine had a 21 gallon tank judging by the amounts of gas I put in it, and I verified the new tank at close to 21 gallons (slightly more IIRC) before I put it in. The fuel pump can't completely empty the tank, so you'll never put 21 gallons in there at once. The most I've ever put in mine at once was 18 gallons.

Bad/defective part? What brand did you use? I just replaced mine after an ntk sensor lasted only 4 months. Bought it well over a year ago so no warranty. I replaced it with a bosch like factory.

Edited by adamzan

Ha! Well hopefully it was just an easy fix like that. The plug form mine is missing the metal clip so I have to watch out for that as well. Did it not set an engine light?

Glad you found it so easily. :aok:

Be interesting to see what you get now...

BTW, this was my last fill up (ouch!)

What? That's like $10USD... :shrug:

Seriously though, only $61USD or $3/gal? That's cheap!

B