Can anyone tell me what this is? (picture attached)

elkootcho

X3

You can make your own out of some heaxy gauge stranded wire, but it might be challenging to find a place to tie it off to on the exhaust, it looks like the bolts are pretty rusted...

B

There are electrical things attached to the engine that do not have their own body ground, thus there are several places where the engine and things attached to it are grounded to the body.

Redundant grounds are good! You'll know when your last one fails... ;)

B

Ha, yep.

I wouldn't worry about it much, but some other options include:

--soldering or crimping the pieces back together; you should be able to curl the ends into a butt splice connector and crimp

--soldering or crimping a new body-side piece to the existing exhaust-side piece

--make a new grounding strap using wire, a ring terminal, and a hose clamp

You should also be able to bend the ring terminal on the body-side, as well as rotate it, to give you a little more slack. The body-side bolt should come out no problem.

As B mentioned, the exhaust bolt is rusted...wouldn't even open that can of worms.

On a parting thought, that strap shouldn't break under normal wear and tear...I just noticed mine the other day by coincidence and there seemed to be plenty of slack, and everything allows for flex (hence braided strap vs. stranded wire for all other grounds). How are your exhaust hangers? Or do you think this just got snagged on something?

Don't worry about it. Since these trucks were built with way too much sheet metal as over redundant amounts of heat shields they needed to ground all this excess material as it can statically build up a charge and spark. If you don't drive through puddles of gasoline you are perfectly fine without