95 Pathfinder Fan clutch replacement

PamPoovey

Has anyone ever rebuilt one? If so, what would be the steps, what do I need to look for if it's not warped or anything?

Also, I was looking at RockAuto for parts and it was suggesting a fan clutch wrench. Is that absolutely necessary? I will be doing the work myself and just want to make sure that I have all the necessary equipment before I leave myself stranded.

I will be replacing all the belts at this time, including the timing belt and water pump. Any advice is greatly appreciated! On that note, I also saw a speciality tool for the pulley, is that also a good tool to have on hand?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

It's so lovely having all of you blokes as my cheerleaders! :happy:

It has been noisey for over a year, about a week ago, it began making it sound like my truck was reving at higher RPMs, and after two days, it returned to being noisey and hasn't been that higher sound since.

Edited by Blackarachnia

I have pinned many fan clutchs in my life. Mine is ... "stuck in the on position" for like 6 years, it's whatever. Buuuuttt I never used no fan clutch wench , 10 mm and breaker oil. But if you are getting to the timing workings , you will need a pulley puller and it's helps to have a chain wrench and 1/2 breaker bar.

LC-9 in the FSM basically doesn't say anything about rebuilding it and doesn't even have an exploded view so... :shrug:

I think I see how to disassemble it, but have never considered trying to rebuild one. If it has play or feels crunchy, the shaft might be scored, but other than that it is 'take it apart and find out' in my book.

Ok, because I was curious... by a mechanic with a Nissan part. (With the runway at St Martin and a gratuitous turtle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpzJsav3rsw

And...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_GkuTgJr3w

I'd say you are SOL, but...

Hurah, hurah, sis-boom-bah!

Take it apart!

Take it apart!

Yay!

:tongue:

B

• Like 1

Never rebuilt one, not even sure they can be!

As far as replacing it, no wrench is needed. Remove the small lower piece of the fan shroud, unbolt the rest of the shroud and remove. Then you can remove the 4 10mm nuts holding the fan clutch onto the water pump. The drive belt can be left on to assist in holding the pulley(you may have to use a flahead screwdriver to hold the other nuts/studs).

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Thank you all for allllllllllllll your help and putting in the time and effort to find me the videoes!

I am soooo grateful for the advice on what tools to buy and what socket size I'll need.

There is play with the fan, it does still function. I tried to get silicone spray in there, but sucked with the betls in the way and it being 6º, I wasn't going to work on my truck just yet (since I only have the street to use as my work area due to living in an apartment).

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are welcome, but sorry, yes, that is what I have always done; just buy another one...

To hold things still while you loosen the bolts, but unless they are rusted in place, this shouldn't be necessary. They are only 10 and 12mm nuts and bolts and you can hold onto the fan somewhat to keep things from rotating if you don't take it completely off first. ;)

B

I use a long thin screwdriver wedged between the fan shaft and one of the other bolts. Crack each loose while you have something to brace then it's easy to remove without holding it tight. Another way is to use water pump belt itself. Either clamp 2 sides of it together or tie a rope around sides and twist until the belt is WAY too tight on the pulley. That will use the engine to hold things in place while you remove those pesky little bolts. and a ratcheting box wrench works great

• Like 1