No power?

Bubbley11

So I have got even more confused. I replaced the fuel and air, checked the plugs and wires. Every once in awhile I feel like the vehicle loses power. I can slowly bring the revs up but if I push for it to accelerate it losses Rev's but I can hear the engine under power. It also has a very small bucking sensation. I was hoping it was the plugs but it all checks out. Now I'm even more confused. Before I bring this thing in what else could cause this? Still smells rich. All I can think of now, is that my cat. is clogged and causing to much pressure.

Maybe the maf? Have you cleaned it? Check the connectors for loose pins ? Or possibly o2 sensor? Unplug it and see of the issue gets better or run the o2 sensor ecu diagnostic. (You have run the ecu codes, correct?)

Cleaned the maf, and tb. Wiggled all the connectors and have only pulled a 55. I am stuck, and almost at a stand still. I'm bout ready to get a full diagnostic done to find all that is wrong, if any. Now I don't know if the o2 senor is bad or not. I will unplug it tomorrow.

The only thing I can think of is the exhaust. I know I need a whole new exhaust but I've decided to go put a new cat and o2 sensor, be it the problem or not, this monday. That is the only thing I can think of, as it super old and has no previous records from the PO for exhaust work.

Try unbolting the the cat just behind the y pipe & see if its any different, have you cleaned your egr? Mine caused it to buck & hesitate. Maybe run dome seafoam through the gas to clean the injectors.

Unless you really overheated it or have been driving for thousands of miles with a misfire, your cat is probably fine. I second what nefarious said and unplug it, and take it for a drive. Also do the same with the coolant temperature sensor. One at a time though.

I'll check what I can when I can, I'm still going to go with the whole exhaust thing since it's super rust and has holes everywhere.

Edited by Bubbley11

I unplugged the IAC, EGR, and of sensor but it didn't change anything kind of made it worse till I put them back on. I did each one separately. Haven't gotten to test the CTS, but I will. I think I have narrowed it down a bit. I smelt raw fuel under the hood, and saw what looked wet. Let it sit till after work and it had evaporated. Now I think that it might be a cracked line or loss fitting somewhere. I might have just found my answer, time to go digging again.

Check the small rubber hose that connects the fuel rails right by the distributor. Fire up the truck and you'll probably see it leak. I doubt that would cause your issue though.

Edited by adamzan

Could you explain you issues a little more? That might help diagnose your problem better.

When does it buck? Under acceleration or steady throttle? Distributor might cause those issues.

The maf could lose its ground from time to time. Why, I don't know. You can add a ground to the existing ground. Make sure you get the right wire, or you will be fixing some burnt wires.

I think I fixed it. I saw a leak from fuel rails and fixed it. Also fixed a vacuum leak. The problem seems to be gone haven't had it for a few days. And it was under hard acceleration. I guess I have to wait for a few days if it comes back.

• 2 months later...

It came back. I have new sensors and fixed the fuel rail problem. I can't seem to find where the o2 plug is. It looks just like wires heading into a harness, no plug or quick disconnect. I will also look for the maf ground.

Edited by Bubbley11

The O2 has a long harness going up into the engine bay, and the plug is in the cluster of plugs between the fuel filter and the little fuse/relay box on the firewall. Two white wires and a black wire. Mine was at the top of the plug cluster, but it was also zip-tied on, so I'm not sure that was its original position.

I would check for vac leaks again in case you missed one. I remember one guy had a no power issue when he got on it in low range that turned out to be a rip in the intake tube. It only opened up enough to leak when the engine rocked under load.