Power, lights, wtf just happened?

madhakish

So I've been having odd power problems on and off, like the CIG lighter fuse blows and my rear amp comes on, replace the fuse and A/C and CIG lighter work again but rear amp goes..

Today leaving work everything just shut off except the headlights. The backlight for the clock is on bit no clock, no interior lights, no tail/brake lights, HU, amps, etc (stock amps, aftermarket HU). No fuses are blown but nothing works except headlights. Wtf just happened?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Time to get out the volt meter and start hunting open circuits.. Before this when my blinker is on and the fuse for CIG/ac is not blown I hear an audible clicking through the stereo, as soon as that fuse pops, the clicking stops.. Now I wonder if my attempt at upgrading stalks didn't jar loose a wire connector..

Mods - this is a dupe post, can it be joined to the previous one?

Terra - yup all correct amperage across the board. See the other post for my last post. Will be hunting gremlins tonight.

Was digging around and found a broken wire up at the battery harness. Soldered a new peice of fresh wire in and shes off and running again! Looks like the battery is a bit loose andbsliding around enough to bump/push/pull on the connector and it had corroded a bit..

Thanks Precise1.

Edited by madhakish
  • Like 1

This connector has two wires coming off the + post, one had broken loose and was disconnected. Noticed it because i bumped the battery checking relays and heard all the accessories power up and then saw it just barely touching its connector.

qe5u4atu.jpg

Was digging around and found a broken wire up at the battery harness. Soldered a new peice of fresh wire in and shes off and running again! Looks like the battery is a bit loose andbsliding around enough to bump/push/pull on the connector and it had corroded a bit..

Thanks Precise1.

Good catch, it can be easy to miss something like that.

Just a word to everyone, make sure your battery is well secured, even to the point of overkill. I once had to fix car that had an electrical fire where the battery burned down to 1/10th its original size. Not fun!

The cause was a loose battery...

B