Trans problems

Bubbley11

So my fifth gear bearing went too long without me looking for the overfill thread. So I think I will be in need of a new one soon. I want to swap a 96+ one in that is a manual, if I can find one. What a I want is the 1-3 gears, in my old one, in the new one and the 4&5 to be the new ones. As the new one has a smaller ratio. Can I swap them or are they different width's?

I want my crawling gears but it might just be better to just swap the tranny. So what do you think am I crazy or just itching to screw something up?

I'm not sure if that gearing info is in the FSM, but it seems like it would be, somewhere.

I'd start by downloading the 1996 or 1998 FSM and searching for the information...

As for wider, they bolt up the same at the bell housing and those trannys take the same TX-10 transfer case so it seems like that should be the case, I just can't prove it.

B

Quite a few people swapped in autos from R-50s and Xterras and they lined up, so it would almost have to be the case that the manuals are the same...

Edited by Precise1

• 2 months later...

4&5 to be the new ones

Double amen to that. I know your pain with 5th gear.... stupid 55mph national speed limit law ruining final drive ratios from 83 to 95. Don't you just hate that 4th to 5th is only ~ 500 rpm different? And 75mph is 3500 rpm :suicide:

By the way, the actual gears themselves in the 96 are the same width as the WD21 gears.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm starting to get a whine in every gear but 4th now. I over filled it which I thought would save the others but I think it's on it last leg. I'll have to find a 96 or newer 5spd after winter.

No viable leaks from it so I think the PO just never over filled it.

Edited by Bubbley11