Steering Moan

headpeace

Today I started to notice when I turn my wheel either way I can hear a low pitch moan sound. I can feel it in the steering wheel too. Is this the power steering going out?? How do I replace the fluid, turkey baster suck it out and add new??

Yup. That sounds like a power steering issue. No leaks? Check your fluid level. If you do turkey baster is out. There is a thread somewhere here on how to do it correctly to swap to transmission fluid instead of PS fluid.

Quick and simple is: Get a cheap turkey baster at dollar store. Some kind of bucket or oil drain pan. Use turkey baster to suck all old fluid out of the PS reservoir. Then replace with Nissan or Nissan compatible automatic transmission fluid.

Mine was easy to do, as my rack and pinion blew out all seals and all fluid. So I was dry to start with, Ha! But thats about it.

I used Castrol TransMax Import. Pretty much the only one approved for use other than genuine Nissan fluid.

First step is to change the fluid, over time wear happens causing particles to build up in the fluid. Get the old out, new in and see how that effects the problem.

The basic way is to siphon out the old in the reservoir and replace with new. You can use a cheap dollar store turkey baster or a fluid suction gun to get out the old. Then replace with new and cycle the steering by turning it loc to lock several times (putting the truck on jack stands makes things easier when doing this.) If the fluid is really dirty you may need to remove and replace more than once.

Although I have never used it, some say that Lucas Oil's power steering additive can really help operation in older pumps, but that is something you would add after you have removed as much of the old fluid as possible. Also keep in mind that things may gradually improve over a period of time after you have done this. The new fluid (and additive) may slowly clean things up in the internals.

Given that this is not an expensive thing to do, it is definitely worth doing before throwing many more dollars at it, in the form of a replacement pump and/or gearbox :togo:

Thanks RedPath and Rebelord, after finally getting some time to poke around in there the fluid was low but I looked around and the pump is leaking around the top where there is a big 15/16 nut. It's not like drip drop leaking but I can wipe it dry and 5 minutes later it will be wet around that seal. I tried tightening that nut to no avail. I filled it back up and guess I'll limp along with a slow leak and keep my eye on the fluid level until I can replace the pump. Any how to's on the pump replacement? It looks fairly simple but I could always use tips and tricks.

Another way to drain as much as possible is to remove the low pressure fluid return to the pump reservoir, put that in a bucket and cramk it up for a moment. Turning the wheels might drive a little more out as well. It shouldn't hurt anything if you just run it briefly. Again, as per Red, you might have to fill it up and repeat a few times to get clear fluid throughout the system.

As for removing it, I haven't done it on a pathfinder, but it should be as simple as a few lines, bolts and the tensioner set up.

B

as far as I can tell it's just the tensioner and one bolt, does that sound right? I can't find my damn haynes manual because I rely too much on getting my info here, I know I have it but haven't used it in years. I just drove it around and got back home and it's leaking pretty bad, gonna have to go ahead and put a new one on.

1994 version...

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1994_Pathfinder/

as far as I can tell it's just the tensioner and one bolt, does that sound right? I can't find my damn haynes manual because I rely too much on getting my info here, I know I have it but haven't used it in years. I just drove it around and got back home and it's leaking pretty bad, gonna have to go ahead and put a new one on.

Yes, that sounds about right. When you download your copy, go to ST-32 and look at the exploded view. Where is your pump leaking from? There might just be some seals to replace...

B

1994 version...

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1994_Pathfinder/

Yes, that sounds about right. When you download your copy, go to ST-32 and look at the exploded view. Where is your pump leaking from? There might just be some seals to replace...

B

Thanks B, its leaking from the connector bolt assembly. I wonder if I could find the parts to replace the innards of that, probably that o-ring

Suspecting that it may be limited to RWD vehicles I looked it up on rockauto.com's 1993 Pathfinder, PS Pump interchange and found

Vehicles This Part Fits
Infiniti M30 1992-1990

D21 Pickup 1988-1996
3.0 Liters; From 2/88

Nissan Trucks Pathfinder 1988-1995
3.0 Liters; From 2/88

*This info was copied (and reformatted) from CarDone's website since I could easily not copy from the java window on RockAuto.

Thanks B, its leaking from the connector bolt assembly. I wonder if I could find the parts to replace the innards of that, probably that o-ring

You are welcome. Maybe start with replacing the copper washers and see what you get? That connector says 'do not disassembly', but I don't know if that needs to be done to replace the O-ring. Sorry I can't help more, but might be worth a shot if the other option is replacing it anyway.

thinking of going the JY route, anyone know if there were other vehicles that used this pump other than the PF and the pickup?

I see no reason a junkyard unit shouldn't be adequate, just look for one without leaks.

Red got that other info for you... :aok:

B

You are welcome. Maybe start with replacing the copper washers and see what you get? That connector says 'do not disassembly', but I don't know if that needs to be done to replace the O-ring. Sorry I can't help more, but might be worth a shot if the other option is replacing it anyway.

I see no reason a junkyard unit shouldn't be adequate, just look for one without leaks.

Red got that other info for you... :aok:

B

Haha, I didnt see the "Do not disassembly", musta been a translation error. Well that sux, what does the "X" next tot the o ring mean?