My new muffler

gv280z

I KNOW, I know exhaust talk AGAIN.....I just wanted to highlight my own personal experience, for what it's worth. I just had this Flowtech Raptor installed for a 100 bucks, muffler cost me $30 at O'Reilly auto parts: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/FLTM/50050FLT/N0599.oap?ck=Search_N0599_-1_-1&pt=N0599&ppt=C0112 and I'm really happy with it.

It's an upgrade over the heavy, giant original muffler, cheap as Sin and has a nice, low, barely audible rumble. There's absolutely NO cabin drone noise, it's not obnoxious in any way, you can hear the exhaust tone once you know it but any other person riding in the car would never know anything was different.

Power not bad either, sounds good but within reason under heavy acceleration...I can't tell you for certain that there is any power increase, drivability seems to be slightly improved..I think...could be psychosomatic and I just filled up so I'll have to wait to see any mileage gains. I'm really happy cause also got my exhaust hung correctly, apparently it's been broken off the hangers for last 3 years and ever time i'd hit a bump I could always feel something loose slapping the underside of the truck and it drove me nuts!

Also learned that what I thought was a resonator that I could have deleted, turns out that I'm lucky enough to have TWO inline catalytic converters! WTH? So that'll be my next cut and replace..couple of high flow cats.

So anyway, if your in need of a cheap, basic new muffler that may get you a little better flow over OEM and NO annoying exhaust drone filling the cabin...check it out, for me...way worth $30 entirely.

• Like 1

I used 2.25, and no I didn't get any gains that I know of, but after I eventually install two new high flow cats and all the piping at 2.25...yeah, there'll probably be something there..just the muffler by itself, not really...to tell you the truth, I'm not sure I didn't loose power... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Question, do all of you guys still have two catalytic converters on your trucks? I'm still have a hard time with this two cat thing...grrrrr...I wanted to cut one of and replace with flex pipe or something and everone was "Oh GOD NO!!!! You can't do that!!! It's going to throw codes at you and it's ILLEGAL!"

damn man....I swear people freak the frosted pudding out when you say your going to change the OEM setup.

2 cats in a 94? sounds like someone did something unconventional. No need for 2. Just front pipe, Y-pipe, intermediate pipe, cat, muffler and tailpipe. Sometimes the intermediate is replaced with a resonator but as long as you can hookup your O2 sensor, should be fine.

I only had one in my '94. Maybe California emissions truck??

I'm gonna have to look into that muffler. The Thrush glasspack I put in is loud and obnoxious. Just needed something after i removed the cat and muffler (they were toast).

I'm so far really happy with my rinky dink little auto parts store muffler and my truck has really good power,I can't tell you if it's been improved but I do enjoy putting my foot I it and it does get up pretty good. I know my truck began life in Washington state and then some how made it to TX and I don't think either cat uses an O2 sensor. I need to get to the bottom of this, guess I need to send some pics.

Both my 95s and my buddy's all had/have 2 cats. The smaller one in front is a precat. I just replaced it with an aftermarket intermediate pipe and it came without the pre cat. No codes since it's obd1. All you need is the main cat. Please don't be one of those retards who runs no cats.

As for mufflers I got annoyed by the sound my dynomax one makes so I bought a new muffler and tailpipe from crappie tire to put on. The muffler doesn't affect power as much as the headers and y pipe.

Edited by adamzan

both of my converters look exactly the same, one not smaller than the other. Even though it's obd1 won't it still put a check engine light on, which will fail your inspection..right?

Edited by gv280z

both of my converters look exactly the same, one not smaller than the other. Even though it's obd1 won't it still put a check engine light on, which will fail your inspection..right?

there will be no CEL due to this. If you are running rich and remove a pre-cat, there is a chance that the exhaust sensor for the emissions testing will detect something (ie. the cat is not efficient enough).

I have never failed emissions with my 95

My '95 had two factory-looking cats, and AFAIK it's never even been to California. The exhaust guy was a little surprised when he looked underneath, but had no issue yanking both of them and putting a single cat in their place. It's given me no issues.

I don't think the OBD1 ECU monitors the catalyst in any way. Later rigs have secondary O2 sensors to check catalyst function.

okay...well, this is looking up..riding the slow conveyor belt of Vehicle Action just got a little faster. At the end of this one, there's truck work waiting..instead of a log saw :)