My $400 R50 find!

01Pathmaker

• 3 weeks later...

So just a quick update, haven't been doing much with it lately except driving it to and work, running errands, basic dd duty. Running quite well, drives great, and getting better mileage than my Titan. Only real problem is the release cable for the spare tire carrier snapped today, anyone have a part number for this? I searched on my Nissan parts software, but couldn't find the carrier anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

U beat my find! Got same 96 se 4x4 for $600 lol. Previous owner dont wanna deal with because it wont start. I found the prob starting with a bad starter! Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Just digging this back up as I will be updating it soon. After much research, I ordered a bunch of parts and some tires. Hopefully I'll get 'em all on late next week/weekend, then I'll update with details amd pics.

Teaser: It will be quite capable after I'm done. Oh yeah and total cost will be under $2500!

Edited by 01Pathmaker

Hahaha! Nope, no blood splatter or involvement in criminal activities. Sellers were quite well off with too manny vehicles, this was the oldest in their "fleet" and once it started giving them issues they just wanted it gone. If I didn't buy it they would have scrapped it! They had a phone offer from a junkyard of $400 so I matched it.

• 2 weeks later...

So was finally able to pull a full garage day! Things didn't go as smoothly as I'd like, took all day, 11 sawzall blades, ate up a full cutting wheel on the angle grider and gave the air hammer a workout. I can say that my entire rear suspension is done. I'll post more details and specs soon.

Got the front done today after work! This thing rides amazing now! Never expected it to ride this good! Now for a quick list of parts I just threw at her (I'll tally up the $ another time).

Rear: Shocks, Trailing arms with bushings, 1.5" Spacers (thanks Steve!), all new associated hardware.

Front: Struts, 1.5" Spacers (I'm lovin Steve!), all new associated hardware.

Took more time than I wanted it to, but almost 20 years of road salt, beach driving and at least 8 years of launching a boat into salt water made for a tough and crusty go (hence all new hardware). Only a few more minor things to do, then my budget build will be complete. 4th tire should be here tomorrow (other 3 arrived Saturday?). Off the top of my head, I'm still in it for under my $2500 max, tally will come soon.

Ok, here's the tally. Before this latest "shopping spree" I was at $1015 (rounding up and keeping it simple), which included purchase price and all parts for work done prior to now (I've been doing all the work myself), but does not include things like title, registration, inspection, insurance, as these are just necessary evils that would have to be paid no matter the vehicle.

The recent parts purchases have totaled $700, breakdown as follows: complete set of trailing arms $180 (eBay), shocks/struts/mounts $165 (eBay), 1" wheel spacers $100 (eBay), 1.5" strut/coil spacers $165 (4x4designs eBay), all new oem hardware for all these items $75 (nissanpartsdeals.com), 24 new extra long lug nuts $20 (eBay). All these prices include shipping (all the eBay stuff was free shipping). So this bumps me up to $1715 total. Got my tires from treadwright.com during their "march madness weekend" sale, a set of 4 Guard Dog M/T 31x10.50's delivered to my door $480. Had my buddy who owns a shop mount and balance for $20 (I threw him an extra $10 as I caught him in a really good mood! Lol). This brings my total to $2225 to date!

Still a few inor things I want to do here and there, like replace the dryrotted speakers that sound like tin cans, tint the windows, maybe paint the wheels, run some seafoam through the motor, maybe a little bondo to hide the holes in the rockers. All this will be done as inexpensively as possible as well. I'm still confident that the total build will be within my original budget of $2500.

I'll post some updated pics whenever it stops raining (probably Friday or Saturday). Overall, I'm very happy with the results. The drastic improvements that I've made in the way this thing runs, drives, rides and looks are amazing, and for such little expense. I'm very glad I came across this deal and that I pulled the trigger, especially since I really didn't need another project, and I'm also proving to the wife that I can still put a good, reliable and capable vehicle together on a low budget (which is priceless).

So just a quick update, haven't been doing much with it lately except driving it to and work, running errands, basic dd duty. Running quite well, drives great, and getting better mileage than my Titan. Only real problem is the release cable for the spare tire carrier snapped today, anyone have a part number for this? I searched on my Nissan parts software, but couldn't find the carrier anywhere.

If you have the FAST program, it's 57260- whatever applies to your VIN#.

57260-0W010 -1095-0100 - SE "f/over fdr f/spare tyre hanger"

57260-0W710 -1298-0999 - XE "f/spare tyre hanger on back pan.."

57260-2W600 - 0100-...... - SE/XE

Picked up a set of 4 gently used 6.5" Pioneer speakers, for a whopping $30 of craigslist today! I have an Alpine head unit, MTX amp and a sub with all necessary wiring in the garage (removed from a previous vehicle before selling), also picked up an aux input cable that'll play nice for $8 off Amazon. Might get rained out of work tomorrow, maybe another garage day? Hmmm...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Wow, completely forgot about this thread! What can I say, life got crazy for a while. So, to bring this thread up to speed, the old 96 was in fact a great find. I installed the audio equipment that I had accumulated and just kept up with maintenance, while using it as my DD. In March of '16, someone offered me a 99 GMC Suburban, 4x4, 135k-ish, clean and well-kept, so I thought "yeah, why not". The price was very fair, so I pulled the trigger, then sold the 96 for $2k. I later figured out that this was not my smartest move. I've dumped that $2k into the 'burb, transfer case, intake & vc gaskets, power steering pump & lines, front-end parts, complete brake overhaul, tires, the list goes on. About a month ago it started consuming coolant, this time it the head gaskets, which I am not getting involved in. These heads are known to be prone to cracking, wouldn't surprise me if that's the root of the hg issue, and I'm not sinking another dime into this pig. Yes, having all that room was great, came in very handy, but I'm done with it. Going to get what I can for it,as-is and walk away. As for the 96, I sold it to a guy that lives 2 blocks away, he loves it, has done nothing but maintain it. I REALLY should have kept it, but live and learn. Now I'm looking for a 08-12 R51 for the Mrs and I'll reclaim the 01 as mine. Once that happens I'll be throwing a few more mods on, and be happily living the R50 life again...

Loved the tires actually, and so does the new owner. Very good road manners for an aggressive mud tire, balanced well and are wearing well also. I wouldn't hesitate to get them again.

I would consider the road noise moderate. They're not what I consider loud, but they are quite a bit louder than typical AT's, but not obnoxious. I've had super swamped tsl's, up to 44" and thornbirds up to 35", those are loud. Lol. I had no issues with airing down, which since they are a full bead to bead remold, shouldn't be a problem. It's their older "retreads" that you'll have issues with from airing down, in fact it states in the warranty that airing down retreads voids the warranty.