HOLY CRAP! Moment

Manik

On my way to work this morning at 5:30 my beloved pathfinder takes me on the ride of my life, which I might add I NEVER want to repeat again. Anyone the knows anything about the Dallas area has to have driven on interstate 30, just south of downtown, known affectionately as "the canyon" knows it can be a nightmare. Anyways, driving through the canyon this morning the throttle stuck wide open while trying to pass a car. Man what a ride. Well, Lon story short, the throttle cable had kinked and started to come unravelled in the jacket causing it to hang up.

I actually repaired the cable by cutting 6.5 inches off of the cable and 7 off of the jacket. Reassembled the jacket to the mount and secured with a good dose of shrink wrap and a new cable swedge on the end of the cable. Here are a few pics that might explain. emabeqyg.jpgybyjuhy9.jpgru7erape.jpgnety2u7y.jpg

Sorry, but I didn't get pics of the swedged end. I am going to replace it in a couple of weeks as soon as funds allow. It'll work for now.

I know that area of Dallas and do my best to avoid it whenever possible.

It is beyond awful and scary. Hell of a place for that to happen but good that you were able to do a quick repair on it!

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 1

I had a cruise control cable hang-up on me while coming down a mountain in New Mexico after a ski trip. Even if I turned cruise off, the throttle was still being held open. THAT was a lot of fun. Ended up killing the engine and manhandling the Isuzu to a stop on the side of the road without power brakes or steering.

I had the cruise cable hang up and WOT the Blazer once, same as K9 I just killed the engine and eased it down on an exit ramp. Pop the hood, untangle cable (stupid plastic clip twisted), fire er up and tally-ho back on the road. The fun one was the PVC popping off my flatbed and jamming under the throttle, manhandling a big block 1 ton flatbed with a midsize SUV on the back took some effort...

Mine frayed and stuck as well. Shut 'er off as soon as it happened and limped it home loading the engine down as much as I could to avoid the revs. Yeehaw.

How long did it take you to realize the VG30 was WOT? :laugh:

I can't really tell from the pics, looks like the kink was right by the firewall? I kind of want to check mine now, just to be on the safe side.

Yea, it took all of a split

Second to realize I was at WOT!! That VG was churning above redline I stood on the brakes downshifted, pulled over and got out of traffic.

And yes, the kink was right out of the firewall right at the factory clamp that holds the cable sheath to the mount. I just made sure that once it was repaired, it was routed in all smooth curves.

I had the cruise cable hang up and WOT the Blazer once, same as K9 I just killed the engine and eased it down on an exit ramp. Pop the hood, untangle cable (stupid plastic clip twisted), fire er up and tally-ho back on the road. The fun one was the PVC popping off my flatbed and jamming under the throttle, manhandling a big block 1 ton flatbed with a midsize SUV on the back took some effort...

Ok, guess the one ton and SUV trumps my pathy!! ::whew, what a ride::

One time (at bandcamp lol) I was on the freeway and my alternator belt snapped, which means brake pressure is lost, I had to stand on the brakes to avoid smashing into a line of traffic. Not fun at all. So yeah, check your belts now and then for wear, or at least when you do the engine oil check them.

Ok, guess the one ton and SUV trumps my pathy!! ::whew, what a ride::

Wasn't a competition, just things you tend not to forget that help knowing you ain't alone in te world of stuck throttles :lol: