Junk Yard visit with questions

I did a recon visit to the local pick n pull last night. Lots of great goodies to go back for this weekend. Want to make sure this is the correct Jeep to pull the front springs off (for a lift). It has a V8. Also, one of the Pathfinders has a full set of Ranco shocks. Do you think it's worth the trouble to pull these?

IMG_7083.jpg

Here's a close-up of the Jeep springs.

IMG_7085.jpg

Here's a photo of one of the Rancho shocks on a Pathfinder. Worth while to pill them? How to tell if they're any good?

IMG_7082.jpg

Edited by MxPathFinder

As far as the springs are concerned I'm not sure... but it seems to me that someone mentioned that almost any Jeep Grand Cherokee from '92-'96 front spring with the pigtails cut off will work for the lift, but that's in another post in The Garage section.

The shocks can only be checked when they are off of the truck though. TO CHECK THEM: stand them upright in a corner for 24hrs ( to let he oil settle after removal), pull one out at a time to prevent disturbing the others and pull up while holding the bottom to the floor. If the shock shaft moves up the gas charge is blown and the shock is shot, if it doesn't push down 2-3 inches and pull up hard, if it comes up slowly all the way up it's probably good. If it comes up slowly then the last bit quickly the oil charge has leaked out past the piston and it's shot.

To review: if there is constant resistance in both directions and through it's whole travel after having been left upright it should be good to go.

I think you want the kind of jeep coils that don't have the vine. Might be able to use them with a modification but you may have to go out and buy one of those special vegitation removal kits from your local parts store.

Picked up the rear springs and Rancho shocks (along with sunroof cover, passenger door handle, and a few other misc parts). Heading back next week for trailer hitch, and matching Lego wheel for the spare.

The springs are super beefy but, same length as stock springs (about 15"). I won't have time to install until next weekend. In the meantime, I'm wondering if they'll provide any lift, and will the ride be harsh?

I'll bet the springs will give you lift and, I'm dang sure they'll sriffen the ride quality. Take measurements from the center of the hub to the wheel well before and after the swap. I'd like to know what kind of lift you just scored.

• Like 1

So, the shocks were trashed so I didn't use those. Will be going with the Ford shocks soon. The springs added a little more than 2" of lift. Re-indexed the T-bars. Rides way better now, but a little bouncing in the back.

Before:

IMG_6988.jpg

Just the back springs.

IMG_7239.jpg

Finished.

IMG_7249.jpg

• Like 1

The bouncy ride in the rear is due to the shocks not having aggressive enough damping to combat the increased spring rates bounce. Once you get those ford f250 shocks in the back it will smooth right out. I run straightened 5.9l jgc springs in the rear and the Ford shocks compliment them awesome.

I believe I used 1995 ford f 250 (single rear shock model) and to make them a bolt on fit you press or cut out the lower f 250 bushing and put in a pathfinder bushing. That's the best way. Otherwise you can press out just the metal sleeve of the f 250 bushing and the rubber will wrap tightly around the shock post. You can buy shock bushings in polyurethane for the pathfinder that will drop right in quite easily after the original rubber bushing is removed. They end up being 3" longer extension and match a 2-3" lift perfectly

According to rockauto, the rear shock part numbers for the 95 f-250, for rancho, are the rs5112 (26" length) and rs5116, which is funny, as the 5116 is the one they sell for lifted pathfinders....The monroe part # are 37039 for the 26" ones and the other is 37052. Hope that helps. There are a couple different monroe ones. The sensatracs work decent and and are lifetime warranty like ranchos. I don't know about the rest.

FWIW I have the rs5112 on my 94, and they work pretty well. But I find that if you bounce it by hand, it bounces a few times then stiffens up. No idea if that is normal or not.

Hmm that's interesting. I run the cheap Monroe economy shocks for a 95 f 250 and I have no bounce at all with the jgc springs. A press down on the rear and it returns in one motion. Maybe you have higher spring rates on your rear springs?

Thanks for the info guys!

I used Monro-Matic Plus part # 32386 for a 1995 F-250 ($24.99 each). Needed to push out the the top bushings and replace with the old Nissan bushings. Other than that, an easy install.

Definitely rides more firm, but not harsh. Less body roll too.

Liking the way my Pathfinder is coming together already. Of course, lots more to do...