Odometer

Manik

Driving home the other day I noticed that my odometer on my 95 has hung up on 159,999. Is there a fix for this or just swap out the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if your dash had the electric speedo cable or mechanical driven one? In any case, you'll most likely have to pull your dash out, they are fairly easy to remove with just a plain Phillips head screwdriver, see if the cable hasn't come off at the back of it. If it's mechanically driven the the speedo cable just slots in, if it's electric driven the cable end screws onto the back of the odometer.

Mid 93+ are electronic, driven off a speed sensor on the trans, and there is no cable.

If the odo is dead and the speedo still works, then it's not input related anyway.

A lot of people swap out the whole gauge cluster, but I imagine you could take yours apart, clean up the gears back there, maybe roll them back and forth with your thumb to free up whatever's binding, and get it working again. I assume the odometer is powered by a little motor, which has to push against whatever dust/dirt/gummy lube is on the gear train and in the number wheels. Suddenly it has to move five wheels at once and it gives up.

No guarantees (haven't had my cluster apart) but I've been surprised at the mechanisms that will come back to life after a good cleaning and a little fresh lube.

Pulled the cluster apart last night and checked it out. It was clean, but, a couple of the screws were a bit loose that retain it to the cloister housing (there are 4). Set it in place this morning and lo and behold, it moved 36 miles. Trip meter still isn't working though, don't care a whole lot bout that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, my other pathy, the tach was effed, so I took apart a spare gauge cluster that I had and turns out you can remove the screws on the backside that hold the individual gauges in. So I swapped it and was able to retain the correct mileage on the odometer.